Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't boot computer without drivers CD

• Please log in to reply

deeperry

deeperry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I get an error message: Invalid system disk, replace the disk and press any key. It would not boot with the operating system disk. Tech support at Gateway finally got me to boot with the drivers disk. They sold me a lot of spyware software, but I have not been able to find anything but a few cookies as I was already running counter spy, etc. I did an XP repair while waiting for an answer from Gateway, with no success. The answer from Gateway was to do an XP repair. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if it just didn't work. I'm hesitant to do it again as it took me all day to download critical updates, etc. I am wondering if something needs to be done to the boot.ini file which I know nothing about. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you post your boot.ini file?

I do not think that is the case, though...

What is your current boot order?

You don't have a floppy in there do you?

deeperry

deeperry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So, gerryf, I've spent days on this problem, contacted tech support, repaired windows, contacted you. Just went to check the current boot order, said of course there's no floppy in there--we never use floppies. Pressed the little button and out came a floppy and the computer works great now. Despite how stupid I feel now, you are worth your weight in gold. Thanks a million, I never would have thought of it. Just remember it is always worth mentioning the obvious! Thanks again.