Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad- Aware SE [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chevyhdgirl

chevyhdgirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I like Ad -Aware for the most part. However, I can only use the quick scan, not the full system scan. It always freezes on C:\\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. Im not sure if this is corrupted or what. I also use Norton Antivirus, Yahoo AntiSpy, and Microsoft AntiSpyware. I have used various free scans from McAfee and TrendMicro and they say that my system is ok. Im just concerned why my scan freezes at this point. Thanks for the help :tazz:

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Launch Ad-Aware SE and check for any Definition File updates. Click on the gear to access the Configuration Menu. Click on Tweak > Cleaning Engine > UNcheck "Always try to unload modules before deletion". Exit Ad-aware.

1. Click Start > Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Java icon (coffee cup) in the control panel. It will say "Java Plug-in" under the icon - please find the update button or tab in that Java control panel. Update your Java, and reboot.

After reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java icon.

3. Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.

There are three options on this window to clear the cache - leave ALL 3 checked.
1. Downloaded Applets
2. Downloaded Applications
3. Other Files

4. Click OK on Delete Temporary Files window.
Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.

5. Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

Download;

CleanUp

Run the CleanUp! installer and get the program ready to be used but don't run it yet.

Perform;

Disk Defragmentation, followed with a thorough Check or Scan Disk, depending upon your version of Windows .

Also completely clear out your Norton's quarantine & Norton's Protected Recycle Bin.

Run CleanUp! and reboot.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Run Ad-Aware SE from the command lines shown in the instructions shown below.

Click "Start" > select "Run" > type the text shown bolded below (including the quotation marks and with the same spacing as shown)

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +procnuke
(For the Personal version)

Try to run a Full System Scan now.

If it again freezes at the same point - go through the steps again and stop to the command line and do the following;

Start the scan, however cancel BEFORE the scan reaches the point of stalling -- say after 20 objects are detected. Then click cancel and click on the logfile. Remove any objects you choose and rescan. Again stop the scan before it reaches the point of stalling and remove any addiitonal objects. For highly infected systems, it may also be necessary to shutdown/restart between scans.

See if some of these suggestions help. ;)

- Rawe :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
And of course.. Make sure you use the latest build.

chevyhdgirl

chevyhdgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When you say " Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE." Does this include the keyboard. Cuz after I did that, my keyboard stopped working... Had to system restore twice to get it back. Let me know if this is normal so i can continue the process!!!!

Thanks

Just to let you know I had no items in the Downloaded Applications of Java. And what looked like a bunch of crap in the Applets file.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
It shouldn't include your keyboard. I guess you can try the whole process again.. And if your keyboard stops working again you'll just skip the javacache's clearing.

- Rawe :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.