Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Agp Slot Problems

• Please log in to reply

RoxStar1968

RoxStar1968

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card. I made sure it was AGP 4x/8x and that it would work on my computer. However, my motherboard seems to have the AGP slot spaced too far away from the back of my case, and the card wiggles around in the slot because I am unable to secure it. This produces odd lines on my monitor. Sometimes if I'm lucky, and place it in just right, these lines will not appear. On other days, the lines seem to be there every time I try to fix it. The card works fine, there are no issues with its rendering/drawing capabilities and I don't think it is overheating. So, should I buy a new case/motherboard or is there another solution? By the way, the serial ports work fine.

Edited by RoxStar1968, 31 July 2005 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. There is no easy solution. If the form factor of the case and the motherboard are the same the slots should line up (example, atx case, atx motherboard). It it possible there is some slack in the motherboard or case that may allow you to adjust the position of the motherboard to get it to line up better. That may be worth checking out. That will be a labor intensive attempt. Be sure to follow anti static discharge precautions. How much of a gap is there, from the case to the edge of the card? It may be possible to find a piece of metal or fabricate one yourself (like from a puch out from the case pci expansion slot) and use a a small machine screw with a nut on the card side, and drill a hole and use the standard machine screw to attach to the case opening. It will require some inginuity on your part but in my mind I can see it could work if there is that big a gap. Do the pci slots line up ok?

RoxStar1968

RoxStar1968

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well...nevermind. I tried this card in my friend's computer, and it had the same problems. I then fixed my case by bending it in and there are still lines. So I will be returning this card for a new one. Thanks for the help anyway! Great site!