Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have hard drive problems?

• Please log in to reply

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not sure if this is a problem or not, but thought I'd check. I have an HP Media Center Edition running Windows XP Pro. There is a yellow light below the on/off switch that used to turn off when boot up was complete. It would flicker on and off as computer was being used, accessing programs, files, etc. Now the light stays on steady - doesn't flicker or turn off. I contacted HP help. At 1st they said it was normal, then that it should go on and off, then if the computer was working fine, the light being on steady is fine. Really, I think they gave me the answer that I wanted to hear - that all was OK.

Seems like all is working fine - no boot up problems, no decrease in speed, etc., but wondering if this could be a sign of impending doom of a hardware failure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steverino

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it shouldnt be on all the time, all it means is that the HD is constantly being accesed. But if the computer is running fine i wouldnt worry if the hard drive fails its not the worst thing that happen and it does happen if you have a pc for a while back up all your data that you want to keep reguarly and that way if it ever fails its not a disaster.

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have already backed up all important stuff and will contnue to do so on a more regular basis. Just was curious as the light has never been on steay before - maybe an hour or so if virus scan or something was running. now it's been on for days.

Thanks again!

Steverino