Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a simple solution to all these problems?

• Please log in to reply

russian master

russian master

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys, im new to these forums, but i am really hoping that you can help me out with this...here goes.

I had my system custom built at cyberpowerinc.com about 4 months ago. In case my specs are not in the sigs, they are
AMD64 3200+ w/ HyperTransport Technology
Asus A8V-E deluxe w/ 7.1 channel audio
Powercolor x600 xt 256 mb
2x512 dual channel geil ram
160 gb hitachi SATA hd 7200rpm
ToshibaDvd/Cd+/- Rw
NEC Cd-rom
X-Blade Midtower case with side window & 3, 80 mm led case fans
Logitech Wireless Keyboard w/billion keys & wireless optical mouse (mx700)
Ultra X-Connect 500W with dual 80mm fans
Windows XP Pro Sp2
17" LCD Viewsonic Gaming monitor w/ 8ms response time

First, whenever i tried to run games like warcraft 3 or half life 2, my comp would just get artifacts ont he screen, and the comp would restart. I had the company send me a replacement video card...at least no more artifacts. However, now sometimes, when i play video, the video is all washed out in green, red, and yellowish colors. Also, at random points in using the computer, it locks up--as in i cant use the mouse, keyboard, and the sound (if it was playing something at the moment) starts stuttering, and then i have to manually reset the computer. This is getting really annoying...I have went into PEG link mode and disabled it, have turned down hardware acceleration, have the latest bios and drivers for everything, my psu is big enough...I dont know what to do. My thought was that it may be overheating, because i have a temperature sensor, and the cpu idles at about 30C, as well as the HD. However, I put the sensor on a different place on the video card than the place it was originally at as put by the system builder, and the temp is 47-50, while not in game. I have just a couple days ago ordered an x850 xt PE video card...(on sale at tigerdirect for just 350!!!!!!!). If this is the temperature with an x600 xt, what the [bleep] is it going to be with an x850?! I need some suggestions as to how to go about fixing these problems. Btw, i ran memtest just in case, and thats not the problem. Thanks in advance for any and all sugestions.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well on the temperature front it should be fine a gfx card should ideally always be at the same temperature mine is at a constant 45 degrees no more no less. the x850 should be he same and it should have a better cooler on it from the x600 you have anyway.

I would probably run every bit of diagnostic software you can get for your system and double check the hardware but it seems like it is ok. All i can suggest is a fresh install of windows you will need the sata drivers for your mobo if you havent got them.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well on the temperature front it should be fine a gfx card should ideally always be at the same temperature mine is at a constant 45 degrees no more no less. the x850 should be he same and it should have a better cooler on it from the x600 you have anyway.

I would probably run every bit of diagnostic software you can get for your system and double check the hardware but it seems like it is ok. All i can suggest is a fresh install of windows you will need the sata drivers for your mobo if you havent got them.