Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Problems

• Please log in to reply

twistedone

twistedone

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am having a few problems with Windows XP. First of all, whenever I right click a file on my computer, it takes approximately 30 seconds for the menu to pop up. It only seems to happen with certain files though, but I've noticed it happens with zip files and notepad files. Also, when I open zip files, using windows xp's integrated unzipping, it seems to take forever and slows my comp down to a crawl.

Occasionally my internet connection will not be working at all, and I noticed that if I look in my task manager, and end task winupdatexp.exe, my internet connectivity seems to restore itself.

Any ideas what might be causing these problems?

Advertisements

Carobu

Carobu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
In my unproffesional oppinon you have to things that need to be adressed one is I would say that your computer seems to be decently fragmented from what you said and a good standard tune up couldn't hurt either. The process you closed is the process that controls automatic updates for windows and it's going slow becuase windows is updating you should let it finish sometime (walk away and watch tv for however long depending on your connection) deleting it speeds up your internet becuase it stops it from downloading as for the slowing down go and get these to applications and run them http://www.tune-up.c.../tu2004/?EMail= and here http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-1
both of those and with that knowledge you should be fine