Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up a wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

tiggcow

tiggcow

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a desktop connected directly to the Westell Versalink 327w wireless router and i am trying to get my laptop connected to the internet with the linksys wireless notebook adapter. A friend was able to connect to the internet at his work using the the notebook and wireless card, but cannot connect at home with the versalink. The card is sending full strength, but not recieving anything. I have set them both on the same channel 1 and cannot still connect. Please help.... Verizon, linksys, and Gateway keep giving me the run around!!

Advertisements

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
do you have the router set up to broadcast the SSID of the wireless network? If it is set to not broadcast it then you would not "see" it with the notebook, and would need to type it in.
steve

fishtr

fishtr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Does the router have a WEP setting on it?

If they put an encrypted password on the router, then it also has to be set on the computer trying to connect to it using a wireless connect.

In general, most routers have a web editor. Type in your browser http://192.168.1.1 (or whatever you set the ip address for the router). Move through it's settings and see if a WEP has been set. If it has been set, you can disable and see if the wireless connects. If it isn't set....then that is another issue.

Did you try connecting the computer to the router using a CAT5 cable to make sure it connect with the router with a wired connection?

Hope this helps

Edited by fishtr, 31 July 2005 - 09:51 PM.

tiggcow

tiggcow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
On the notebook, the SSID box has any typed in it and the router page reads HIDE SSID and is set on Disabled. The WEP security on the router page is disabled and was never enabled.I can connect the notebook to the router with a cable and i can get on-line just fine.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
tryt the following steps if using windows xp...... if not let me know your os.....

go to start

control panel

network connections

on the wireless card adapter right click an go to "view available wireless networks"

select the wireless network you are trying to connect to

check the "allow me to connect even though the selected network is unprotected" box

then click on the "connect" button

that should get you going if on xp

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
when thats done you MUST have security added.... either by WEP, but its best to turn the wep off and just use the MAC filter. let me know if you need help on that

tiggcow

tiggcow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i have already done this and I am still not receiving any packets!

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
What OS is the laptop? I have seen some issues with wireless for windows 98 before.

tiggcow

tiggcow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Window XP