Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make my Comp Faster

• Please log in to reply

Xeronic

Xeronic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have Windows XP and i have 900 MHZ,How can i make it go much faster i run programs as Photocho which takes about 212 mbs..and some other big programs..

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If fitting a faster processor is not an option, the next best speed boost would be to add more RAM - that would benefit Windows because it wouldn't have to use slower virtual memory as often, plus it would allow you to run more applications at the same time. A free speed boost can also be gained by simply making sure the hard disk(s) is defragged regularly - fragmented files take longer to access than those which are in one place on the disk.

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I would also suggest shutting off some of the unnecessary services that run in the background. Go toElderGeek and see which ones that you do not need. There you will find descriptions of all of the services and which ones you can safely shut off.
More memory is big for increasing performance on a computer, but if you are in the market for more memory, maybe you would also be in the market for a larger processor, find out what the largest one you computer can handle and see how much it is.
Good Luck.
Steve

Xeronic

Xeronic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks alot this helped out alot..