Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thunderbird/gmail malfunction

• Please log in to reply

crazyfugitive

crazyfugitive

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been using thunderbird for some time to accsess my gmail account, but when I decided to change my password, it stopped working. I reset the password, tried to make a new account, reinstalled t-bird, installed then new version of t-bird (1.0.6)etc. and it still wont work. The Error message I get is "Connection to pop.gmail.com timed out", that is the one I got every time.

Now I have tried my account on both Outlook 2003 and Eudora 6.2, and there it works just fine. All three lients have been set up as the way google themselves told me to (http://mail.google.c...en&answer=12103)

I rebooted, reinstalled and set it up a last time just to try it and then there was another alert: "Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: malformed command"

anyone have a solution or suggestion?

thanks in advance

Edited by crazyfugitive, 31 July 2005 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you have your port set to 995? and ssl enabled?

crazyfugitive

crazyfugitive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, 995 an SSL is enabled, I checked everything on here: http://gmail.google....13287&topic=194

I tried to change the email adress in the options page, and that worked "better", so now I am trying back and forth to see if it can work, so I'll let you know at once if it works.

Edit: I got it to work after some time, not sure what happened, but thanks anyway

Edited by crazyfugitive, 01 August 2005 - 06:42 AM.