Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updating windowsXP activation code

• Please log in to reply

grinderk627

grinderk627

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can anyone help? I bought a computer with windows XP already installed, but, on trying to download service packs found out that the software was not a legal copy and quite rightly the Microsoft site would not download the updates. I've now bought a legal copy of XP but don't know if I shall have to format my hard drive, or can I somehow input the activation code to make the software legal, thereby saving all my files. Anybody any ideas?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just use the phone option given to Activate XP.. Give them your new legal XP key code and they will give you the activation code..

Murray

Just as a sidenote, if you still have the Bill of Sale for your system, Microsoft may ask for it.. They may refund up to 50% of the value of your legal XP purchase..

Edited by Murray S., 31 July 2005 - 03:44 PM.

grinderk627

grinderk627

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Murray,

Thanks for your reply, I'll do that

Grinder