Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Screen - WinXP SP2

• Please log in to reply

Miya

Miya

• Pip
  • 2 posts
~Wow first post! Forgive my no0b-ness~

This seems to be another infamous 'blank screen' problem...However after doing a thorough search on the topic in the forums, I haven't seen my exact situation yet, so I hope someone can help out. ^_^ Thanks in advance!

Within the last few weeks I've noticed a persistant problem when it comes to taking my computer out of Standby Mode - which is the screen stays blank & desktop never shows up. This is how the situation goes: In my power options, I have Standby Mode set to start when I close the lid of my laptop. Which it does. So after I close the lid to my computer, thus bringing it into Standby Mode it works fine. Its when I open up the lid to take it out of Standby mode that the computer seems to turn back on...The lights are green and the motor starts running (fans start running as well), but after a few seconds the black screen flickers and it seems as if the monitor turns on only it stays blank...no mouse, no background & no error messages or strange beeps sounding.

The strange thing is I can still access my desktop (even though I can't see it)...so I've now devised a way to safely restart my computer each time by pressing the ShutDown button (knowing it gives me an option to shut down, restart, or log off) and I tab over to the restart...etc...Of course, I really don't wish to be doing this from now on. >_<

I've checked my computer numerous times with my McAfee VirusScan, SpyBot, as well as Ad-Aware & there doesn't seem to be any bug mucking up my system. I've recently reinstalled my OS (about a month ago) and shortly afterwards this problem showed up. I never had this before (before the reinstall)...Although I followed directions from an IT Professional, I can't help but wonder if one of my drivers was incorrectly installed (although I don't know how to check this)...or is there another problem I'm not looking at? Also I did a quick check on the EventViewer Log shortly after I had to restart my computer because of the problem again - found some red X's as well as some interesting Warnings which i'll post here.

Sorry this is so long...Any advice/fixes or just pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

WindowsXP Home - SP2
Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.00GHz
(...not sure what other info is needed...)

EventViewerLog: (Application/System)
Error-A thread in process c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe took longer than 30000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 1712 (0x6b0)
Thread address : 0x7C91888F
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.11.0.0.149 / 11.34
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe
by winlogon.exe
27001(30704)(0)
10010(30704)(0)
24000(30704)(11)
10006(30704)(0)
27000(30704)(26)
27001(30704)(0)
10010(30704)(1)
24000(30704)(16)
Error-DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service winmgmt with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}
Warning-A request to suspend power was denied by winlogon.exe.
(...again not sure what other info might be needed here...)

Edited by Miya, 05 August 2005 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

Miya

Miya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry that I have to reply to myself...I know this is cheating somewhat...but it seems no one has replyed to my question yet. Sorry everyone if its confusing or long...but if someone has any ideas on how to fix my 'Blank Screen' problem I would be most greatful...*bows*

p.s. - this also seems to occur when my screen saver kicks on and I'm not running any programs in the background...it seems to like when I run something in the background, otherwise It goes blank on me...actually pretty much freezes. Maybe that goes along with the first situation?

~MIYA