Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

PC freeze

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
a while ago, i got problems in games cuz they started to suddenly freez, and that after i played games for a year on my machine and never had a problem, so i was going to format my 2 hhd cus i havent done that in a long while
after i formated 2 of my disks and converted it from fat32 to ntfs, reinstalled xp home, installed all drivers succesfully
after that my system got a very iritating error, everytime i try to acces '' my computer '' and try to go to my hhd's the pc freezes and sometimes the screen goes black aswell, only thing i can do is reset with the button on the case.
when i'm only on internet and not accesing any hhd noting happens, i can run msn, e-mule, games and stuff (however it can happen on other times, but that is rare)

i tried a lot of stuff, and i'm running out of ideas,

my system:

K7S8X mainbord with SiS746FX chipset
AMD XP 2400+ @ 2000MHZ
2x512 DDR333
Geforce 6800GT AGP8x 256DDR3
1x 20gig hhd 1x 30gig hhd
5.1 C-Media AC97' onboard Sound
LG DVD-Rom player
300W PSU
Windows XP Home sp1

i think it may be the puny 300W but still i find it strange cuz i never had this problem before and i can still play joint operations, GTA sa, Half life2, enz enz

Edit: windows never gives an error report or something

some suggestions plz

Edited by sini, 31 July 2005 - 04:03 PM.

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Do your hard drives make any noise at all? Like a clicking or grinding sound? I suppose that it could also be the board failing, but the PSU is kind of suspect, I have a Power Supply Tester which lets you know, I have the middle one.
Good luck, sometimes things like this can be frustrating, but with patience and some troubleshooting you will get it.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the hhd make no noise and the temps of my hhd is around 30-35 (used speedfan to check)

i'm gonna check the power supply tester now, thnx