Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen lockup on wife's computer

• Please log in to reply

hlguy99

hlguy99

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently reloaded Win98SE for the third time, everything works ok for a few days or weeks, then suddenly without any warning in the middle of browsing online, the computer will blue screen fatal error. Sometimes it will let you "press any key to continue" and will continue, other time it will completely lock up and nothing will fix it.

Problem get continually worse until it's doing it so much you can't do anything useful on line. Seems that my first problems started when I was encouraged to load security updates from microsoft... immediately started having problems... and little by little Win98SE degraded...

I've tried scan disk, defrag... everything, then finally will resort to reloading Win98SE.
and the cycle starts again...

on my computer I've changed to Firefox browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for email and I don't have these problems but I can't update media player or other items that requier microproducts installed...

any succestions????

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you did a thorough scan disk and nothing came up you may have a heat problem. An amazingly small amount of dust on the processor cooler can cut cooling a lot. Dusting it out with a gentle brush or air spray will correct that. Also the fan in the power unit may need cleaning. Also leave the case off and check to see that the fan didn't stop working. That would be the first things I would check.

hlguy99

hlguy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that, eventhough I should have...

also, I logged in to the Bug Doctor site and tried their scan, it said it found 756 errors and for only $19.90 for a week, they'd clean it...

any thoughts on these, sw fixes??? sounds STEEP...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hlguy99...

Before downloading Bug Doctor you should read a few reviews like the one below.

http://registry-repa...tor-review.html

With all the downloads available on the internet, it's always a good idea to read all the reviews you can find...

wannabe1