Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host process for WIN32 Services...error.

• Please log in to reply

SneakyJ

SneakyJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay I have NO idea why my computer has just started doing this. About 3 to 4 hours after being on and running, it gives me this little pop up "error report" boxes that states: "Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.". Once this happens, I cannot START any other program, even task manager. I can still function around in the ones that are already open, though.

I've looked on M$'s website and they say it has something to do with printers or scanners being hooked up.. I unhooked my printer, restarted my comp, reinstalled drivers, shut off my comp, reconnected the printer, but it still shits out on me after the same amount of time.

I need to get this fixed ASAP because, well, it's pissing me off..

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to open Task Manager at the start of operations and keep it handy. Monitor two things, your memory committment vs. available memory and your page file usage. The generic host processes do what the older rundll files did in windows, they load libraries into memory for the executables to use, and you may be running out of memory for some reason.

acdctrain

acdctrain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
the microsoft website says: "After you install security update 873333 (MS05-012), you experience the following problems:
• You may receive the following error message after you start the computer:
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error
Note This problem only occurs in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
• File names are not displayed in e-mail messages that include file attachments when the following conditions are true:
• The file name contains double-byte character set (DBCS) characters.
• The file name is longer than 42 characters.
Note This problem only occurs when the e-mail message format is Rich Text.
• An application that implements the IMallocSpy debugging interface may experience heap corruption after you install security update 873333. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
894194 (http://support.micro....com/kb/894194/) An application that implements the IMallocSpy debugging interface may experience heap corruption after you install security update 873333"

well the solution is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

Alex187

Alex187

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I been having this problem for about 3 months now. Oh man is it annoying, cant listen to music/task manager/anything, i hope that link can solve this issue, thanks.

BTW topic creator, did you ever get it fixed?

acdctrain

acdctrain

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The only other thing I can think of if it doesn't work is changing your virtual memory by going into the my computers properties going advanced then advance again and under virtual memory hit change I pur mine up to 1,000 from 672 and as of now I believe it's helping I'll know later......