Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ethernet card not working

• Please log in to reply

dftitans

dftitans

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: Hello, Any Help is greatly appreciated.....

After a power surge I have replaced my mother board and power supply to get my computer back up and running.....

The new mobo is a KMA 400 A. The mobo and power supply went in fine no problems... computer booted and I wiped the disk and re-installed windows ME.

Now the motorola sb 5100 cable modem will only connect to the computer via the usb controller. It will not connect via the built in ethernet card on the mobo and further, will not connect via the linksys ethernet card that I just installed into a pci slot.

The problem is that we use vonage which requires a linksys router, and without using an ethernet port on the tower we have no phone...

Any assistance would help.....greatly

Incedently, I also tried the same situation with win xp pro installed and all I got was "network cable is unplugged"....

S>O>S>

Thanks/dftitans

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. First thing to do is check the bios. If you are going to use on board ethernet, it needs to be enabled in the bios. If you choose to use the PCI nic card, then on board ethernet needs to be disabled. Usually pressing the delete key during boot up will get you into the bios.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also : right click my computer > manage > device manager. and look for any yellow ? or !

dftitans

dftitans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the help guys,

It was a dead ethernet port on the modem, whick makes sense after a power surge..... I have a new protected modem now and am up and running.

Thanks again for your help.... :tazz:

Rgds/dftitans