Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP1

• Please log in to reply

GreyGears

GreyGears

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Internet Explorer 6.0 in Windows XP Home bit it’s self in the butt the other day, and now crashes whenever I try to print something off the net, or try to print an e-mail out of OE, or try to access certain URL’s. And System Restore doesn’t work either. I’ve run Norton anti virus, Add Aware, and Spybot looking for bugs, all said I was clean. The error code Explorer gives me is 0XC000008C. After a little searching on the net I’ve found I have to boot from the Windows CD and run the “Repair” mode to fix this. The only other alternative is a clean re-install…(choke). The down side is the “Repair” mode will wipe out all the patches I’ve down loaded over the years from Microsoft. They will all have to be down loaded again, and I’m on a dial-up line…Ugh!
The question I have is; if I have SP2, do I have to reload SP1? Thanks for any and all inputs.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi GreyGears, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

The question I have is; if I have SP2, do I have to reload SP1?

No. After performing the repair, you can go directly to SP2. SP2 contains all previous patches.

Here's a guide for performing a repair install of XP:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

You can order a free SP2 CD here:
http://www.microsoft...default810.mspx

GreyGears

GreyGears

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick response, Admin. I suspected that PS2 might replace PS1, but you never know about our friends from Redmond. I have both PS1 and PS2 on CD’s (you avoid downloading files this size when you’re on a dial-up modem).
This Form is like a breath of fresh air. Everything is so professional. No flames, no insults, no jokers, and everybody seems to know how to type in English. And you guys seem to work the hardest with the most terrified Newbes to get them up and running again. Bravo! <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Great comments! Thanks for the kind words, they are appreciated! <_< :P

Actually I read your post and got goosebumps. :D You describe our site exactly as I hope it's perceived. :D