Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
This is for a friends machine. He says the problem started right after he did a windows update. I checked all the updates he did and researched them under the ms knowledgebase and none of them reported problems like this.

BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING TAKEN
We are able to get a 68.??? ip address, which is correct (for our ISP) and we are able to ping an alphanumerical ip address like www.yahoo.com, but we cannot ping a numerical ip such as 68.12.15.190. and When he launches internet explorer it automatically closes.

We can hook up his laptop to the the same modem and surf fine.

LITTLE EXTRA TROUBLESHOOTING
My first thoughts were maybe a winsock error of some sort or a regigstry problem, but I ran the winsockxpfix and that didnt help, then i tried the registry mechanic with no luck there either. Next i tried a system restore (to the original xp load) again with no luck, and even creating a different user account didnt help).

Lastly I tried the "REPAIR" internet explorer option (no luck), then I uninstalled / re-installed internet explorer and that didnt do it either.

just to be sure I replaced the ethernet card (with same results) and also switched to USB (with same results).

I am running out of options, short of reformatting the hard drive and re-installing windows.

Any ideas or suggestions tyo try. . . . . . . would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Could be corrupt BHO.
Use HJT, to remove all BHOs (make sure backup option is on in HJT)
Now start IE, see if it works.
If it still doesnt work restore the HJT backup.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
will try that this evening... thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
no such luck with removing the BHO's either.................gonna reformat and reinstall windows on thursday night if no one else has any ideas....

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
reformatted and reinstalled windows . . . all is fine now.