Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Home Network doesnt work!

• Please log in to reply

Lloydie-Walnuts

Lloydie-Walnuts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:mad:
my problem is this:
We're trying to network our computers through a router hub connected to a cable modem, and well it wont do it.
I've tried reading up on this and apparrently the company only provides one IP address but this shouldnt be a problem as the router is supposed to sort this out.
however, it doesn't.
its a linksys ezxs55w. now one computer works fine, and the other computer is connected to the LAN but it cant go onto the internet.

any help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

-walnuts

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are you running service pack 2 on your computers? You might have to check the firewall settings. Can you navigate the network with the computer? I mean can you access shared folders on each of the computers?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Lloydie-Walnuts

Lloydie-Walnuts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i cant get the computers to connect using the linksys router.

and no we cant share the documents between the network.

i will check the firewall settings and let you know.

thanks for helping

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Have you used the ICS wizard in XP? The Internet Connection Sharing wizard needs to be run on both pc's simultaneously so as to check for signals to and fro. I don't think the firewall is the problem here although using the router there may be port clashes. I would give the Internet Connection Sharing wizard embedded in XP a try first and check if the pc's can at least "see" eachother over the HOME network.

This will not happen instantaneously however. As I said, it needs to be run on both machines at the same time and upon finalizing, you should be able to see the other pc after a short while.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
But don't you think that ICS would only need to be enabled when actually sharing a connection through a pc? It sounds like they're connecting both pc's to a router and neither pc is sharing any sort of connection... I could be wrong, just wanted to ask. If that works please let me know I am curious about this problem as well.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ahhh yes, hadn't thought about that. Touché. If he has hooked them both up through the router then yes. ICS would be redundant. As the one machine seems to have no problems accessing the net and the other doesn't there may be a problem with the other machines communication with the router. All depending on the setup ofcourse. Or he may have to change some network settings in the other machine so as to let it recognise the router as host.

Best way is to see what he says I guess.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ya true, I guess we never know till they come back and post new info. I was just wondering if maybe you had some new tech info I needed to learn about. :D

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hehe, not really. I have a hand in many things though not an expert by any means in any of them. Have some experience with routers and hubs and know they can be a serious pain. Could be something as simple as a faulty cable or plug. But yes, not too much to add to the suggestions beyond what we have until he comes with fresh info.

Actually, that is something I have wanted to mention. The how of posting problems. As in, What is the problem, what do you want to do, what have you done to fix it...Things like that. The more information posted the better. I have been browsing the posts and many of them are so ambiguous and lacking in solid information that is becomes difficult to know how to help.

Just a suggestion ofcourse. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes it is always nice to have more information to go on, it definitely makes the fix easier, or maybe I should say "more accurate", maybe we should start a new thread somewhere else to talk about this and not in this one huh? Hahaha <_< If you want to chat or something pm me and we can use msn or aim or the live chat room :D

-=jonnyrotten=- :D

FleXaTion

FleXaTion

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Possibly the problem with searching your internal network has to do with the Workgroup name that you have each computer set to. You can check that under:
Start -> My Network Places -> View Network Connections (on the left pane) -> Advanced menu -> Network ID.

You should see the workgroup that computer is assigned to. Typically if it has never been changed it will be assigned the name : WORKGROUP or MSHOME.

Another thing to check is to run the command ipconfig /all in the command prompt window. (Start -> Run -> ipconfig /all)

check to see if the ip address assigned to the computer that is not getting online starts with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address. If it is then the router isn't assigning an IP address to that particular machine correctly.

Be sure that you are using a twisted pair ethernet Cat5 or Cat6 cable. If you aren't then that could be the problem.

Anyway, that's what I can think of right now.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

check to see if the ip address assigned to the computer that is not getting online starts with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address. If it is then the router isn't assigning an IP address to that particular machine correctly.

I think that when more than one computer is connected to a router they are supposed to get 169.254.xxx.xxx address, because the internet service provider only provides one IP address, therefore both computers cannot have their own address, the router also doesn't forward dhcp broadcasts unless configured to do so. So if each computer was still set up with dhcp then it would send broadcast requests to the dhcp server, but the server would never hear it because the router would not forward it. <_<

I also suggest clicking "start" "run" and type "cmd" without the quotes. Then type ipconfig /all and copy and paste that information for each computer back here.

-=jonnyrotten=- :D

FleXaTion

FleXaTion

• Pip
  • 9 posts
actually the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is a windows assigned IP address. The class 'C' IP that your router is supposed to give you will have an ip schema of 192.168.xxx.xxx and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I would be sure that you have your tcp/ip settings set to automatically assign a DHCP ip address. This should clear up the problem. Be sure that the TX/RX lights are flashing on your NIC card as well. This would be a problem if they are not lighting up. If you are using an onboard NIC card be sure that it is enabled in your BIOS (it should be be default). Also a problem could arise if you have installed a secondary NIC card in that machine and both the onboard card and the secondary card are trying to use the same resources.

Oh, is this wireless? Might need a driver update? Just trying to help out.

FleXaTion

FleXaTion

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I think that when more than one computer is connected to a router they are supposed to get 169.254.xxx.xxx address-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

View Post

I'll bet you that your IP address starts with 192.168 johnny. Check it out. If you have the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip addy then there's no way your getting online.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Oops, you're right, I messed up on the 169.254.xxx.xxx. That is the APIPA addressing windows assigns when you cannot contact the DHCP server, that addressing can also be used for small workgroups since all the addresses will be on the same subnet and there will be no routing needed. 192.168.xxx.xxx is the correct addressing you should receive from the router, also 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and 172.16.xxx.xxx are also valid local private network addresses. I do agree that If my address was 169.254.xxx.xxx that I would not be able to access the internet since I would only be able to access computers on my own subnet. I also do agree that having Ip addresses for both pc's of 192.168.xxx.xxx (private) is valid, and both computers will share the same Public IP that the ISP assigns. eg. 24.165.xxx.xxx. That's what mine starts with.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

FleXaTion

FleXaTion

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for understanding bud! <_< Now where did this guy go?