Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Win2K Installation Looping

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Win2K system would blue-screen on startup, saying it couldn't load the device driver DELPROT.SYS. I've since found that DELPROT.SYS is a trojan, and also found that I could keep it from loading by using the appropriate Recovery Console option. However, before finding out those things, I had decided to just reload Win2K...

The installation gets to the point where it is loading device drivers, telling me that the screen may flicker, etc. It gets about half-way through loading drivers, and then the system reboots. When the system restarts, it recognizes that the previous installation attempt has failed, and it resumes at the point where it is trying to load drivers. And, again, it fails about half-way through. This process repeats over and over.

My question is - how do I stop the looping? I can use F8 or a boot diskette and get to a command prompt, but what files should I change or delete so that the new Win2K installation will stop and so that my old Win2K installation would at least try to load, since I've now stopped DELPROT.SYS from loading (and I've deleted DELPROT.SYS, too!)?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.