Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

!Video Cards!

• Please log in to reply

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Is pci express an new type of physical pci slot, or can you just plug in a pcie video card to your pci slot and you're good to go?

-=jonnyrotten=-

Nevermind, stupid question..... <_<

View Post

Yes PCIE is a new type of Physical PCI slot. There are two new types of PICE Slots:

1) PCIE16x - for Graphic Cards
2) PCIE1x - for PCIX (modem, sound, network, and RAID) cards

You can put old PCI cards in the PCIE1x Slots, I sure that you cant put PCI Video Cards in the PCIE16x Slots. I hope this has help you some to understanding PCIE.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes it does thank you. I just was hoping I could put a pcie video card in my regular pci slot and run it. But that idea was short lived <_< I'll have to wait for ati's agp release of the x700xt or get the 6600gt agp. :D

-=jonnyrotten=- :D

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
What ever video card that you decide to get, if you want one for speed then I would get one with a 256-bit reading, if for vaule then 128-bit. Also get on that has 256MB of RAM on it.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Any suggestions?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I myself plan on getting a EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT when Newegg gets them in stock. The BIOS can be flashed to the nVIDIA GeForce 6800Ultra and overclock to 420/1115. If you got the money to spend on this card then get it.

Here are also some good video cards for a good price:

1) ATI RADEON 9800 PRO - $290 (Not Instock)
2) SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800PRO OEM - $268 (Not Instock)

I hope this has help on pick a new video card.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Thank you for the suggestions, unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to hold back on something, either the ram or the bits. I'm not sure which one and I wish I could get both, but I initially started out saying I only want to spent $125-$150 and now I'm up to $200 max, but maybe more... <_< But not much. I was hoping to find a 9800 se with 256 ram and 256 bit that was somewhere under $200 and just softmod it. No luck yet.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Maybe this one will do, by reading the reviews on this page it seems to overclock ok too.
http://www.newegg.co...-145-072&depa=1

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Ya, that one looks ok. I would wait until Christmas to see if the prices of the video cards go down, before buying this one. That is if you can wait until then.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Oh ya I have time, like I was saying earlier, my motherboard is RMA'd right now on the way to zipzoomfly and the board I'm using right now doesn't have an agp slot. Plenty of time <_<

FleXaTion

FleXaTion

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ATI is for the birds! J/K. I prefer the XFX Nvidia series cards. Good quality. Great price. I have the XFX FX5700LE 256MB card ($100 off of Pricewatch.com) and I got my bro the XFX FX5900 256MB card. Both are excellent cards and do all my gaming needs with no problems.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Powercolor, VisionTek, ATI, MSI.....etc.. Who makes nice oc'able 9800 pro's. I've been leaning toward PowerColor, but there's some others too. Here's one:

http://www.gameve.co...x?sku=VC-VT-002

Found what I believe may be a sweet deal:
http://www.crucial.c...=CTRFBV9800P128

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Any good suggestions for Black Friday deals on the 9800 pro?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
ATI and Sapphire are very good for overclocking. MSI cards arent that that bad either. Newegg has one for $185

MSI - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Now about that Crucial card. I love Crucial memory, never had any problems with it, but their video cards are a differnet story. From personal expernice with using their 9700 Pro, the drivers never seemed to work right. And I notice that there was some video shredding. And I got it replaced, and still the same problems, even tried it in other systems and still was shredding the video. It only happend in Direct3D games, but normal desktop use it was fine. It could have been a bad model of the card but I will stick with both ATI and Sapphire for all future ATI cards. Hope that this helps.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Would you recommend getting an ATI or Sapphire over the MSI to overclock? I will spend the extra cash to get a good oc'er. Also is there any certain companies that I am most likely to get the r360 core over the r350? I've also heard PowerColor oc's very nicely. Thanks

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have nevered overclocked a ATI card, but have had a 100% secuess rate with overclocking the Sapphire cards.(A total of 7 cards) Nerved tired it on a MSI card, but I think the sould overclock nicely.