Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
saturday 20/8/05 11.45am
Gee I've been up since midnight
oh well

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'm a night owl. I've been getting to bed when my husband's getting up for work, especially since my computers been down. I feel like I won't get a good night's sleep until I have it running again. Stupid things... sure can mess up your life!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok lets search for a file
we are looking for Imagehlp.dll
Do you know how to use the search / find?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
are you using internet explorer 6 still
If yes when you go to add remove programes and you say to uninstall it doe it give you the option to repair?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I exported my registry the day before my install and the day of and can do that again now.

QUESTION: Could it be something there and maybe going back to that registry would fix the broken link? ...or do you think it is more with the files?

Just a thought. I'm just sitting here looking at this thing waiting for it talk to me and tell me what's wrong. Guess I shouldn't want that .... I remember thinking that when the kids were babies and now I can't get 'em to stop telling me what's wrong or that I'm wrong! :tazz:

RESPONSE: I have imagehlp.dll and Repair: Internet Explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please run setup again to reinstall all components. Details included many *.dll files of Version 5.5 that need to be greater than 6.0

Problem is that I can only load to a floppy disk, and the file I downloaded from Microsoft requires me to be able to download update files from the internet while running setup.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
But if the problem is IE, why can't I reach the internet in DOS?

Ping an address resulted in unknown host.

Do you want the files that need to be updated? Can I update them manually?

Edited by totianni, 19 August 2005 - 08:45 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Here are the files:

ACTXPRXY.DLL
BROWSELC.DLL
BROWSEUI.DLL
IMGUTIL.DLL
MLANG.DLL
MSHTML.DLL
MSHTML.TLB
MSHTMLED.DLL
SHDOCLC.DLL
SHDOCVW.DLL
SHFOLDER.DLL
SHLWAPI.DLL
URLMON.DLL
WININET.DLL

Now what do I do with the Imagehlp.dll file?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have internet explorer 5.5 or 6 on a disk?
What I have learnt about the Java error says to rename that .dll
but after doing that you have to reinstall windows explorer
and yes I take your point on ping

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I have ie6 on the isp cd, but get the same errors every time I tried to run it from the disk. Figured it was a problem with the cd. Thought I could fix it with an update download from the internet, but, well, you know that story...........

What would be the commonality between the windows and DOS connection to the internet???

I've played with computers for about 20+ years now, but I don't know the technicalities. Always wanted to learn the programming side, but with 3 kids, who has the time.

... and the imagehlp.dll file -- was that the java file?

Should I try to reinstall again from the CD?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
One more question: How do the IP addresses get assigned? Would it make a difference if I had a different IP address? I know everything was fine before the reinstall, but I also had my system current with all the updates. All I've done so far is reinstalled the OS. Maybe it has something to do with an update???

I'm sorry if this is just too many stupid questions. Just thinking here . . .

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No not stupid shows you are thinking
That is why I was talkingabout a static ip.
If you want to try it can't hurt.
Basic lesson. You are running DHCP (don't worry what it means)
This is given out by Either your router or modem - depends on setup.
If you get all the ip information of the lap top or other computer we can try that. I think I gave you an static address to try.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

I have ie6 on the isp cd, but get the same errors every time I tried to run it from the disk. Figured it was a problem with the cd. Thought I could fix it with an update download from the internet, but, well, you know that story...........

... and the imagehlp.dll file -- was that the java file?

Should I try to reinstall again from the CD?

View Post

unable to install Java package from c:\windows\system\dajava.cab.

this is what I was saying before about the .dll
Unable to install Java Packages from c:\windows\Dajava.cab
Access is denied.

These error messages can occur for any of the following reasons: • There is a copy of the Imagehlp.dll file in the Windows folder. Internet Explorer installs an updated copy of the Imagehlp.dll file in the Windows\System or Winnt\System32 folder.

• You are trying to install Internet Explorer 4.0 over a pre-released version of Internet Explorer 4.0 that includes the Microsoft virtual machine (Microsoft VM).
• There is an invalid certificate on the hard disk when you install Internet Explorer 4.0.
• The Active Content security options are disabled in Internet Explorer 3.02 before you upgrade to Internet Explorer 4.0.

Rename the Imagehlp.dll File in the Windows Folder
For information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type "renaming" (without quotation marks), and then double- click the "Renaming files" topic.

NOTE: You must reinstall Internet Explorer 4.0 after you rename the Imagehlp.dll file.

Java

I know it says IE 4 & 3 but when you read the article it also applies to 5.5
Which you had before you tried 6.

We can take a gamble on replacing your registry with the old one.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Follow this
Registry restore
Make sure you back this one up

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I spent all morning with this and had all the error information and processes ready to post, then my son messed with the computer and it locked up, so now I'm going from memory.

I started with trying to rename the imagehlp.dll file; however, it was being used by windows. I tried in safe mode and in a dos window, but I don't know how to boot ME in dos, so I couldn't rename the file.

I uninstalled IE6 back to previous version, but was unable to uninstall IE5.5. There was no option in add/remove programs. I copied my cd to my hard drive and rebooted in safe mode. I reinstalled IE6 (this was actually the first isp CD that wouldn't run to install the DSL, but with the newer CD having errors installing IE, I thought I'd give it a try), still got 2 errors Vector VML something and I can't remember the other one (maybe writing or language??), then restarted the computer. This corrected my Outlook Express problems. I couldn't get it to load at all and was concerned that I would lose everything, but I can at least start the program, just still can't connect.

I opened IE6, but am still getting the "Internet Explorer cannot open the search window" error.

I ran winipcfg. This concerns me: IP address: 0.0.0.0, Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 and Default Gateway (blank).
Clicked Renew and got IP Configuration Error: DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing adapter

Ok -- forget all that. I forgot to plug it in! Duh!!!! Winipcfg has ip address and subnet mask. Default gateway and DHCP server have the same address.

IPconfig lists: 0 Ethernet adapter: with all three addresses and 1 Ethernet adapter: with IP address and subnet mask both different from above and gateway blank, but no other adapters (there used to be 2 more listed)

ping: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. gets 4 replies
ping: 192.168.1.2 gets request timed out
ping: www.yahoo.com gets unknown host
don't recall ping address for router

Registry: I have an exported copy of the registry from prior to the reinstall. There were no options before the reinstall with scanreg. My concern is that restoring the exported file will cause duplicate entries and may cause more problems???? I tried to access your link for registry but got "Clearing History." No biggie, I know how to export with regedit and backup/restore with scanreg, but I don't know how to hold on to copies of the backups with scanreg. They seem to disappear.

I have to run out. Will continue in a few ....

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Now I feel like an idiot, but I don't know where to go to change the DHCP to static to try your other option.

I'll be out for a few hours, but hopefully, you'll be back and can help me tonight.

Other than the static option, I think I've hit on everything else. Should I retry anything or redo anything?

I'll get all the address info from my son's laptop and catch up with you tonight.