Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
There are hardly any rootkits for ME and the same is true for rootkitrevealers.

But I no longer think that is anything to worry about.

I hope you find the needle in the haystack you are looking for.

Do you have System Restore enabled? And have you tried going back to an olde Restore Point?
http://www.microsoft...stemrestore.asp

Regards,

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
What do you suspect is/was the problem? and what does sfc do?

I never could get system restore to work. I couldn't set any points and it wouldn't hold any points. When I tried to restore from a point that I thought was set, it wouldn't work.

I couldn't run Housecall without my mouse, but it worked for a few minutes today, and I finally got PC-cillin to install, then the mouse died again. Previously tried to reinstall McAfee Personal Firewall, but it wouldn't work. Kept getting a Not Responding in task manager with a black X through the tray icon. I uninstalled McAfee to install PC-cillin, but now Spysweeper is Not Responding and I don't know how to run the PC-cillin program without clicking the tray icon or the program buttons. I can't tab and ENTER.

Now I have "Winmgmt" running in task manager. Wasn't there before I installed PC-cillin.

This no mouse thing is driving me nuts. Any ideas on how to at least get the mouse working??? Thanks.

Edited by totianni, 09 August 2005 - 01:34 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I suspect there are a lot of files missing, or replaced by a virus.

sfc scan the computer for missing or corrupt system files.
When it finds one it will ask for the CD and replace it with a copy from the CD.

So that is why I am quite helpless without it.

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I found the 98 Plus CD, but still haven't located the Windows ME. I just ordered a replacement CD from Microsoft that will ship tomorrow and should arrive in 3-10 days. I guess I'll have to wait it out and I'll let you know as soon as I find the other one or the new one arrives. Thanks for all your help.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
No problem. That's what we like to do.

I'll hear from you when you get the CD.
Then we will have you back on your feet in a jiffy. One way or the other. :tazz:

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I have a quick question for you about my son's laptop. I wanted to set some control options to keep his 12 year old eyes away from the "nasties," but it asked for a password that he didn't set. We bought the computer used, so is there a way to override the password option in the internet control settings? Thanks.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Is there a program installed that keeps you from changing the settings. If so, I'll need to know the name.

Or is Windows asking for a password when you want to adjust the IE settings?

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'm sorry! That was not very clear at all.

It's Windows XP and in Control Panel, Internet Options, Content, Enable (Content Advisor) -- it says "The supervisor password is required before you can continue. Hint: <None> Password: _______"

When I hit OK, it tells me the password you typed is incorrect, but we haven't set any passwords.

Is there a default password or do I need to set one up somewhere?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I can remove that password for you. ;)

As will your son probably be able to after you changed the settings, by the way. :tazz:

Click Start > Run > copy&paste regedit /e c:\ratings.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings" > OK

Doing this will create the file c:\ratings.txt
Post the content of that file please.

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings]
"Key"=hex:bb,c2,64,8c,ea,9b,b2,4c,69,1b,2c,02,6f,d5,52,b4
"FileName0"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\RSACi.rat"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings\.Default]
"Allow_Unknowns"=dword:00000000
"PleaseMom"=dword:00000001
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings\.Default\http://www.rsac.org/ratingsv01.html]
"l"=dword:00000000
"n"=dword:00000000
"s"=dword:00000000
"v"=dword:00000000

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Copy the part in bold below into notepad and save it as bypass.reg
Set filetype to "All files "

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ratings]
"Key"=hex:

Doubleclick the file you made and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.

You should now be able to change the Content Advisor settings. If you get prompted for a password you can just hit ENTER.

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thank you, Pieter. I think it is all set. Is it okay to have entered the bypass twice? I locked myself out with a bad password and had to merge it again to correct it.

BTW, Microsoft is now air-expressing my cd. I should have it in 3-5. Will contact you then.

Thanks again.

Edited by totianni, 10 August 2005 - 08:54 PM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Sure, you can merge it as often as you like. All it does is remove the password.

Regards,

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Hi, Pieter,

Just got my WindowsME CD. I'm hoping it is okay. It was nearly 100 degrees here today and the delivery driver left it in my driveway and I just got home.

So, now I have the CD, where do I start?

Thanks, Tina

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Check if this file is present on your computer:
c:\Windows\options\cabs\setup.exe
If it is reboot into safe mode and double-click that setup.exe and windows will start reinstalling on top of its self.
You will not loose any data or your preferences.

Let me know,