Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks leurgy

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Ok it has been suggested it might be your network card.
lets see if you can work under a local network .
we need to set your computer up to see xp machines
I hope you have an XP disc if yes put in in your me machine.
To configure other computers on your home network
1. Insert the Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition operating system CD.
2. Under What do you want to do?, click Perform additional tasks.
3. In Perform additional tasks, click Set up a home or small office network.
4. In the dialog box welcoming you to the Network Setup Wizard, click yes to continue.
5. Follow the instructions on your screen.

I assume you can plug your machine and your sons machine in to separate connections? If yes then see if you can see his on the network.
If you can't go to his machine and in control panel run the network wizard on his machine.Can you see the other computer? if not can you ping the other computer?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I have installed the new NIC card, but still cannot connect to the internet. I can ping the same as before and can ping my husband's computer and the router.

When I click on My Network Places, Entire Network, I get an error "unable to browse the network. Windows is unable to gain access to the network. This may be for a number of reasons."

I wasn't able to set up the network as you described. Both computers came with XP. They are registered copies, but I only have a recovery disk for XP, and I couldn't find an application file to setup the network.

We've tried so many things and I know there were a few ideas that never got implemented. Maybe I should start back at the beginning???? I don't want to reformat, if at all possible. I would like to be able to get the network setup. I know there were a few problems with the initial reinstall. Maybe I should request a replacement disk from Microsoft and try a reinstall??? I know I have updated drivers downloaded, but maybe you could tell me what I need to backup to disk, since I don't have internet access to download new ones.

Where should I start now??? Thanks.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I didn't get a good backup of my registry before the reinstall. I do have an exported copy from before the reinstall, but don't know how to replace the current registry with the exported one. I had tried to incorporate an exported registry before and had multiple entries for a whole lot of lines and pretty much contributed that to the problems I was having at the time. Can I replace the registry?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
I have asked for help on this
let's see if we get a reply
any chance of disconnecting the router and going straight through the modem?

How did you export the registry?

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 11:57 AM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Hubby says I can't bypass the router. I have recently reset the router and the modem with all computers turned off. Obviously, it didn't work.

I exported the registry from within regedit to a file.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Any reason we can't bypass the router?
Have asked a malware guy to check your log.
We were on that's why I am thinking still malware
we ruled out the network card

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Don't really know why except that it is all screwed up on a wall in this big panel and he said we can't bypass it. He said he thinks we'd have to reset everything if we tried to. It's set up that the incoming line to the house connects to the modem (on the wall panel), then the router (on the wall panel) through which all the connections throughout the house are connected. The lines run through the house just like phone lines and jacks. We just connect to a wall jack to access the DSL line. We know everything beyond my computer works because I use the same jack to connect my son's laptop to the DSL connection.

Did I explain what you asked? Did it help?

Won't it be a real pain to try to fix the malware without an internet connection? Is there anyway to attach a desktop floppy drive to my son's laptop? I have a spare from my old system. It would at least save all the up and down to the dungeon to get to my husband's computer. Just a thought. I looked, but it didn't look promising.

And, I couldn't get the networking thing to go either. Maybe we could work on that to save some running, too????

Thanks, again.

Edited by totianni, 10 September 2005 - 02:19 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
To get the network you need an xp cd or if a friend has a cd borrow that or that can make a 3.5" disk with the file.
How to fix malware without internet Don't know I know ZIP about malware.
When you boot me and press F8 does it give you an option for safe mode with network?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I'll check with my neighbor down the street for the xp cd or what file for the 3.5" disk????

Guess we just have to wait for the malware solution/resolution?!

F8 boot just has safe mode -- no network option.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Can try this and see if we can create the disk needed
on your husbands machine do this if he lets you.
But 1st I reccomend you make a fresh restore point on his.
To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer first. The host computer is the one that will share its Internet connection.

• During the Network Setup Wizard, it is recommended that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium computers on your network.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
How do I know which computer is the host? I thought it was mine until hubby connected his and his became the .2, mine .3, son's .4. Would the host now be my husband's?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
The modem/ router is No.1
does he have file share on
Did you make a restore
did you run the disk on yours and can you see his

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 02:59 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I will set a restore point.

How do I check for "file share ON?"

I still have to make the disk. Had questions to ask first. Still have to "enter the dungeon...

I'm heading there now.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
When you run the wizard it will ask do you want to share the files
Do not forget rule 2
Do you want to wait
so you do not share a malware across the network?

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 03:00 PM.