Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
2 nics not a problem

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Should I setup the network on my system now?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
no wait for the all clear from Noahdfear
Will we need the network if you can log on?
Remember the network setup was to check your nic but since you put the new one in we now know it is not a nic problem

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 10:27 PM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Just seems like we've eliminated almost everything and still have no idea why.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
A couple of run entries have gone missing from your HijackThis log.

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] :\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE

Did you remove these? Would you please click start>run and type msconfig then hit enter. On the startup tab, check the box next to all boxes and then close. Allow reboot. Create and post a new HJT log.

Still a lingering scheduled task. Open the control panel>scheduled tasks and see if there is an Anti-Virus.job listed. If so, remove it.

I know you have already run a Winsock fix, but would you please do so again. It will fit on floppy.

http://www.bu.edu/pc...insock2fix.html

Reboot.

Please open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all, hit enter and let us know if you have a proper IP address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway, DHCP server, DNS server and lease obtained.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Yes, I disabled System Restore because it never worked.

Are you sure you want me to check all the boxes? There are alot. I have everything turned off right now.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Yes, check everything. I need to see what is disabled.......to make sure it's not something that should be removed instead.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I have everything checked. Should I hit Apply?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Ok. I'm rebooting now. Would love to know how to remove most of this stuff. Never could figure out where it is.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Yes......then close msconfig and allow it to reboot. Then post a new HijackThis log.

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
PCillan window loaded with option to close (clicked close)

Adobe Download Manager: A file has not been fully downloaded. Would you like to continue downloading it now? (tried to click Download Later, but computer is locked up).

Mouse still works, but can't click on anything and there are alot of items in my status bar (next to the time).

I have to hard reboot.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Scandisk is running. If I can get it back up, can I just list the contents for you to see, or do you still want it all to load?

Also, what about the config.sys file. It appears to be empty. Should there be something there?

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions. I started with DOS and I'm still trying to figure out how much is associated with Windows.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello, everyone! :) I hope you don't mind me poking my little nose in here. I just wanted to take a minute and congratulate you all on the amazing teamwork that has gone on in this thread for over a month now. totianni, you are by far about the MOST patient and willing-to-follow-directions member I think I've ever seen. You don't lose your cool, and you follow the instructions given to a "T". I wanted to give you kudos for that, and to tell you to hang in there. You've got a couple of our best working with you on this. You're in very good hands! :)

Keep up the great work, guys! :) :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
config and autoexec are not really needed from 98 on
and yes let it all load
come this far so keep on going bit by bit

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 11:15 PM.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
If it won't load for you, reboot to safe mode and create a HijackThis log. If you disable those entries in msconfig again, it will take some manual registry editing to remove the ones we don't want. Easier to leave them checked and fix them with HijackThis. :)

Thanks Kat! :tazz:

Edited by noahdfear, 10 September 2005 - 11:18 PM.