Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
this seems to be a driver issue...and i would assume it's due to whatever driver you just loaded last...i'm still researching it..and i figure between the four of us we will be able to figure it out..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Ouestion:
I get this error at Startup. What can I do and what does all that VXD and MINSP stuff mean?

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VxD, possibly recently installed has consumed too much stack space. Increase the setting of 'MinSPs' in System.ini or remove recently installed VxD's. There are currently 5 SPs allocated".

Vxd is a virtual device driver. MinSP means Minimum spare stack pages.

Increase your setting from 2 to 8. If this is not enough, try twelve.

There is some confusion in the Microsoft guide on this. It says that the default setting is 2, but must be a multiple of 4. (4, 8, 12).

Go to the run dialogue, in the start menu, type SYSEDIT and press OK.

The system.ini file should be the fourth one from the front.

Scroll down to the [386Enh] section and look for the setting. On the last line of the section type the following.

minsps=8

Now, go to the file menu, and choose save.

Restart your computer.

The total memory space is divided into 4K segments called pages. What you have done is essentially give your computer more reserve virtual memory, into which to load that virtual device driver (whichever one that it was).

that gives alittle better fix descriptiong

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Thank you Dsenette. I read through the link and changed my system.ini file as suggested. No problems as yet. I have no idea what was the last vxd loaded and wouldn't have a clue as to how to find out.

Dave, I have run RegSeeker too many times to count, but still keep getting entries. I ran the DiskCleanup and Defrag. It is still hanging up, especially when I start and/or use Firefox.

Seems like I've been getting alot of the MySQL errors while posting here. Could they be because this thread is so extremely long?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
The Last Vxd would be the video card

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
toti...if those sql errors are comming up within the forum window...then it is a known forum issue...it has nothing to do with you...

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
:tazz: I think it may be time to put this poor thing to rest. I was using my computer (although it was still locking up occasionally), but it was running okay. I left the house to take my son to his friends house, came home and my computer looked like it had just been rebooted . . . except that now it won't load at all. :)

The first screen starts indicating my video card "Trident Blade 3D," then it begins the next screen which announces:

Award Modular BIOS, Energy Star Ally
Copyright
GREEN AGP/PCI SYSTEME
Main Processor: PENTIUM III 1000B MHz(133MHzx7.5)

.....that's as far as it will load. I don't hear the hard drive at all. Could it be the hard drive (after all this work getting it cleaned up) or the motherboard?

Can't boot from a floppy either.

Can't even enter "setup."

My son really wants his computer, and hates when I have to take over to try to fix mine.

I'm really starting to feel jinxed here :) :woot: :woot: Any ideas? ? ? Thank you so much for your help.

P.S. Should I start this as a new thread?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Tina
What boot disk did you try
Can you go to www.bootdisk.com and download a 98se boot disk and see what happens.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If the computer won't boot with the 98se disk then we can assume
It may be more of the innards rather then the hard drive. Do you hear any beeps
when you start the computer If yes how many.

A computer will boot to a point further then what it is doing now even with no hard drive attached.
When you open the computer look for
http://home.mchsi.co...00-bad-caps.jpg http://img.photobuck...1/whurd/Bad.jpg

This can happen without a power surge ( I know it just happened to me).
If you have these on the main board then your data is most likely safe.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
:P I don't know what happened, but I opened my computer, checked and seated all the cards and switched the hard drives. I was looking for the pictured problems, but didn't locate anything looking wrong. The second drive booted, so I switched it back to my first hard drive and it booted. :) Now it's all working until the next event. :) I just wish it were always this easy to get it working. Still don't know what the problem was, but hope it remains a distant memory.

Thanks for your help, AGAIN. I really appreciate all the support.

I love this site :woot: and everyone here :woot: and have recommended you guys to everyone I know. :woot:

Thanks again everyone, especially my new dear friend, Peter! Thanks for hanging in there! Cheers!! :tazz:

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
:) Here we go again!

I can't get into WinME, not even in safe mode. :)

During one of the boots, I got the following error:

Registry file was not found. Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use Scanreg to correct this error.

Scanreg locks up. If I cancel Scanreg, nothing loads.

So, I loaded from my WinME Boot Disk and tried to run scandisk. Now I know why I couldn't get it to boot.

Scandisk encountered a data error while reading the FAT on drive C. This error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive.

Ok . . . now tell me how screwed I am :woot:

:tazz: Just want to let you all know that I am nearly bald now with this daggone thing. :woot: ....and I'm losing my mind. If anyone sees it, please catch it, upgrade and update it, then send it back. Thanks so much. :woot:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Tina
Not good news I hate to tell you.
Ok I assume your ME boot disk has scandisk on it.
Start in dos mode
C:>scandisk /suface enter
If this does not work let me know I am off to resarch a program called lost & found.

Cheers
Peterm

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I knew this was going to be a problem . . . we had a power outage yesterday, but I thought I had gotten back on after that . . . just don't know anymore . . . I can't believe I can't get a break here . . .

Everyone keeps telling me that they don't know anyone who's had so many computer problems . . . and I should just get a new one . . . that would be great if they would buy one for me ! ! ! Of course, that doesn't get all my data though.

I just haven't had it working well enough for long enough to get it all backed up . . . I have some of it, but still need to get to the largest of the directories.

Have tried the /surface option, but it just won't go. Have also tried to restore the registry . . . no go there either.

I know that with all the time invested here, there has to be another option . . . there just has to be . . .

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
totianni.....have you spent a large amount of time working near radioactive substances?....the only explanation for all this stuff is that you're irradiating the machine or something hehehe....i seem to remember having you download and burn the ultimate boot cd...am i correct?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Hi, Dsenette . . . Thanks for the "words of wisdom" . . . but, no, I didn't burn the Ultimate CD. I did look into it from your signature at one time, but have just had so many problems with EVERYTHING, it was just one more thing that I needed to get to . . . and I don't have access to a burner now.

.....but you've got to admire my undying persistence . . . it's more of "I can beat this if I keep trying" kinda of thing . . . I really hate that this may defeat me . . .

Would fdisk /mbr help me at all with WindowsME? ....and why can't I just rebuild the FAT??? . . . without reformatting . . .

Edited by totianni, 17 November 2005 - 12:44 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I think it is time to get your old hard drive and set it up as a master and the dying one as a slave
and try and get what we can. Because it won't boot does not mean you can't read it as a slave drive.
Does the old drive have a windows system on it if yes what one.

Step 1) Look at the old hard drive and take down the make and model number and any other information you can see - can never have to much information.

Step 2) Make sure you earth yourself first. Then take out the ME drive and do the same.

Post all the details here and we will give you the steps for the jumper settings.
This will make 1 drive a Master and one a slave.

I would try this first rather then trying to recover the ME drive, You may do more harm then good.
Don't forget to also post the drive size of both. If the old one is not big enough to hold all the info we will network you to one of the other computers to take the information.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 18 November 2005 - 01:48 PM.