Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze/Monitor Distorted--Virus?

• Please log in to reply

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I don't know what you are asking. When I first got dsl, yes, I used the setup disk. I had ie6 before I reinstalled WinME, but had 5.5 after reinstall until I used disk to install ie6. Did I answer your question?

Advertisements

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I tried to post, but don't know what happened. Will probably be a double post again. I have a hard time trying to post -- seems like it takes a long time to submit or I get a page cannot be found error.

I thought I used the cd, but remember that the original cd didn't work, so they talked me through it on the phone. They sent me a new cd that I used this time to set it up, but it hangs up at locating the modem.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I also wanted to say that there seems to be an awful lot of drivers associated with the NIC card. Properties reports device is working.

Driver file details lists: 10 files, then relists 7 of them. Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
It's getting late here. I'll check in tomorrow. Thank you so very much for all of your help. Hope you have a great day!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Would you have the make and model numbers of the router & modem
so I can find out info on both?
yes you did answer my question
Also can you check your sons laptop setting is it static or dhcp. Iassume
dhcp but never know

Edited by peterm, 18 August 2005 - 01:07 AM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
Modem is Westell 2200

Router is NetGear RP114

Son's laptop is DHCP enabled
WINS has Enable LMHOSTS lookup (ticked) and NetBIOS set at Default
DNS: Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix
Register this connection's addresses in DNS

I called Verizon, my isp, today and tried to get them to walk me through installing the DSL from scratch. He checked all my settings and said they are set as they should be now and he doesn't know why I can't connect. Maybe there is a file missing or something. In any case, he couldn't help me get online either. I do not have anything else running that would cause a problem, no virus scanning, no firewalls, nothing loading. System Restore says my computer cannot be restored to the "System Checkpoint" the day I reinstalled ME. I've never been able to restore it to a point I needed. I don't even know why I run it.

I was thinking about trying to use "Uninstall Windows Millennium" from my add/remove programs, but I don't even know if it would uninstalled the last install, or if it would help. Do you think this may be an option???

My only accomplishment so far is that I actually got my printer working today.

Do you think it could be a registry entry not allowing the connection? Shows you how much I know, but I did have a problem with a restart that said something about encountering an error accessing the registry and that Windows would repair it. Maybe it didn't repair everything???

I'm just soooooo tiiiirrrreeedddd of it all. By all accounts, I should be able to connect. Everyone keeps saying it looks like everything is right. I don't know what else to try. I hope you can see something no one else has.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Edited by totianni, 18 August 2005 - 08:52 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
A couple of things to try I hope I do not overload you
1) Lets see if we can ping the modem
at the command/dos prompt type ping 192.168.1.1
do you get a reply ?
NO
2)when you go to the command/dos prompt and type ipconfig does this give you an IP address (don't give out the address) subnet mask and default gateway?
3) did your ISP get you to try a static ip address (we will try this next)
4) if you cannot ping the modem go back and change from dhcp to static
put in Ip address 192.168.1.2 this shoud give you a subnet 255.255.255.0
can you ping the modem now
5)do not give up
I am wondering if your me needs the xp network ability to talk to your modem
this is the file you have to use to have 98 ME etc to talk to an xp network. I know that
you are not talking to an xp machine buuuutttttt

Edited by peterm, 20 August 2005 - 12:53 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try setting your static ip to 1.2 not 1.1 as that would be the same as the modem (in theory)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
oops - :tazz: well picked up

Edited by peterm, 19 August 2005 - 08:51 AM.

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
1. Ping 192.168.0.1 = 4 replies

2. ipconfig: IP address, subnet mask, gateway all have addresses (IP address is a digit off from my son's laptop address)
also have: 1 Ethernet adapter: IP address & subnet mask and 2 Ethernet adapter: IP address and subnet mask - 0.0.0.0; no gateway on the ethernet adapters.

3. ISP didn't try a static ip.

4. Pings work so should I still try to change this. Thought I should ask because my isp said all the settings seem to be correct and the pings work. My isp said I could get to the modem and the router (ping), but not beyond. When I ping a web address (www.yahoo.com), I get: Unknown host

What I don't understand is that I could connect just fine before I reinstalled the OS. I had other problems at that time, but I could still connect. I did have quite a few errors while reinstalling. Would they be able to cause the problems?

I tried to setup in safe mode, but it wouldn't go. I kept getting conventional memory errors. I ran a thorough scan disk and defrag prior to installing in windows without loading any startup files. I first ran it with the setup I had in /INSTALL, but I got an error "unable to install Java package from c:\windows\system\dajava.cab. Generic trust failure." I continued the setup, but it locked up at components and I had to reboot.

I tried copying the files to a separate directory and installing from that directory, but that also gave me the conventional memory error, so I ran it in Windows with the /is option to bypass scandisk. I still got the "unable to install Java" error and when it complete the installl and restarted, I got "windows encountered an error accessing the registry. Windows will repair the registry for you and restart the computer."

I was almost confident until I couldn't access the internet. I have DSL and tried to reinstall from the CD. Error: I don't have the correct version of Internet Explorer now. I can't even remember the error I got trying to access Outlook Express. I also can't get my printer to work. Tried reinstalling that -- no go. I'm so burnt out on this dang thing.

During one of the reboots, I had a strange file in my task manager or config file. I'm not sure when or where, I just wrote it down. Could you tell me what this is: DEVICE=C:\windows\dblbuff.sys /d+ I've never seen this one before.

After one of the reboots, I wrote down this error message:

"The McAfee winsock filter detected that your windows sockets protocals were changed or upgraded--however, while attempting to reconfigure the winsock filter for these changes, there was an expected error 1157. Please report this error to McAfee Tech Support."

Funny thing about it though, I'm almost certain that I had uninstalled all McAfee and didn't have anything left on my computer to get that message????

Could any of this be why?

P.S. Please overload me. I'll keep trying whatever you suggest. I just want to get it working.

Thanks so much for your continual help. You are all GREAT!

Edited by totianni, 19 August 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
DEVICE=C:\windows\dblbuff.sys /d+
is a double buffer for a scsi device I assume being D it is your cd drive
says a lot but means nothing

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
"The McAfee winsock filter detected that your windows sockets protocals were changed or upgraded--however, while attempting to reconfigure the winsock filter for these changes, there was an expected error 1157. Please report this error to McAfee Tech Support."

did you check this one with McAffe ?

totianni

totianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
One down. Thank you for the explanation. I take it that the other errors have no bearing on the situation? I was wondering about the winsock thing. It was kind of a strange error to get.

I didn't check with McAfee because I had no McAfee products on my machine at the time. Should I look into it even though I'm not using McAfee?

Any thoughts on why I can't get all the way through?

Thank you.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Check with McAfee something had to give the warning
And yes a bad winsock can stop an internet connection

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you want we can try a winsock fixer ?
Winsock
Make sure you get the ME one