Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scanner problems

• Please log in to reply

Summer_24

Summer_24

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I'm not sure if anyone can help me or if I'm even in the right section, but I need help getting my scanner to work. As far as I know, everything is plugged in right but if I try to push the scan button it does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Summer

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

A couple of questions:

1) What model/brand of scanner do you have?
2) How does the scanner connect to your computer? (USB, parallel port, ...)
3) Did the scanner come with any sort of software package or something mentioning TWAIN?
4) Try downloading the free image editing program, Irfanview which is able to scan photos. Once installed, under the "File" menu, click the "Select TWAIN source" option and see what is listed. Then try clicking "Acquire" under the "File" menu to see if it can access your scanner.

Cheers,
Tom

I'm not sure if anyone can help me or if I'm even in the right section, but I need help getting my scanner to work. As far as I know, everything is plugged in right but if I try to push the scan button it does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
Summer

View Post

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have a software cd it should contain a twain source. If you don't have a cd you can probably download a twain source from the makers website. And just use it the way the previous poster described. That's what I did for my scanner and I use Irfanview with excellent results.

Summer_24

Summer_24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
1. I have the Canoscan N67OU
2. I'm pretty sure its a USB not 100% sure.
3. The scanner came with a disk that says Canon Scanner WIA driver and Users Guide for WIA driver on it...at the top of it it tells me to install the TWAIN driver located on your Canon Software Sollutions CD or Canon CanoScan Setup CD for additional features not supported by the WIA driver. I loaded the software sollutions CD and it says "the software required to scan images (the TWAIN driver) is not installed."

I installed the Irfanview, and clicked to see what sources were listed and it showed nothing in the box, it was just blank.

When I clicked on acquire it said "twain error! Can't connect to device or the twain driver is not installed!"

Please help me, what should I do?? Thanks for any suggestions...
Summer

Edited by Summer_24, 04 August 2005 - 11:34 PM.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

I think I found the download you need off the canon download site. Here is the link to the main downloads page for your scanner:
http://consumer.usa....51&modelid=6625

Now, click on the "Driver / Software" link

And, assuming you have Win XP, you will want to download the first option "CanoScan N670U Scanner Driver ScanGear CS Ver. 7.0.3.0 for Windows XP" file. I think that should do it!

Cheers,
Tom

1. I have the Canoscan N67OU
2. I'm pretty sure its a USB not 100% sure.
3. The scanner came with a disk that says Canon Scanner WIA driver and Users Guide for WIA driver on it...at the top of it it tells me to install the TWAIN driver located on your Canon Software Sollutions CD or Canon CanoScan Setup CD for additional features not supported by the WIA driver.  I loaded the software sollutions CD and it says "the software required to scan images (the TWAIN driver) is not installed."

I installed the Irfanview, and clicked to see what sources were listed and it showed nothing in the box, it was just blank.

When I clicked on acquire it said "twain error! Can't connect to device or the twain driver is not installed!"

Please help me, what should I do?? Thanks for any suggestions...
Summer

View Post

Summer_24

Summer_24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok, I am very confused, I installed the link you referred me to previously. But it is still saying that the Twain driver is not found, and now when I push the scan button on my scanner it doesnt do anything (when before it was saying the Twain was not located). What did I do wrong?

I went to control panel, clicked on Caere Scan Manager and it says that I am using the current TWAIN driver: CanoScan LiDE 20/N67OU/N676U

Edited by Summer_24, 16 August 2005 - 07:17 PM.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Did you try scanning with the Irfanview program I mentioned in an earlier post? Pushing the button on the scanner probably will not do anything since you have not installed the special software that came with the scanner originally. But, being able to see the scanner and TWAIN driver is a good thing! Try scanning with Irfanview and let us know if you have any luck.

Cheers,
Tom

Ok, I am very confused, I installed the link you referred me to previously. But it is still saying that the Twain driver is not found, and now when I push the scan button on my scanner it doesnt do anything (when before it was saying the Twain was not located). What did I do wrong?

I went to control panel, clicked on Caere Scan Manager and it says that I am using the current TWAIN driver:  CanoScan LiDE 20/N67OU/N676U

View Post

Summer_24

Summer_24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I clicked on the acquire button and it said "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."
Im pretty sure that everything is plugged in correctly, although I could be wrong.
When I closed out of the box that had that message, a different one said "Twain Error! Can't connect to the device or the TWAIN driver is not installed!"
Please help...
Thanks,
Summer

Edited by Summer_24, 17 August 2005 - 11:24 PM.