Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Diamondmax 10 (100GB) with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

jl582

jl582

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have Sony Vaio desktop which uses ("ptgd-vx"??) motherboard which is suppose to be made from Asus.
It has Diamondmax 9 160GB with preinstalled windows. I recently got error that "vgaoem.fo" file was missing and windows couldn't start. I called Sony for service and only solution was to wipe out all data and recover back to original manufacturing condition.

So I thught I would buy new hard drive (diamondmax 10) to install new windows and see if I could somehow retrieve my data.

My problem started from here... There seems to be a problem with SATA hard drive with Windows XP. Can anyone help? Bios shows that I have correct hard drive but when I try to install Windows, driver was missing so I used floppy (f6 didn't work so I waiting manual set up "S" to select.. Then it shows there are no hard drive to partition(or install)... Blank HD...
What's going on? Do I have bad HD? I found many questions regarding SATA with Windows Install that hangs at this window with no option of HD but no solution.

Please help~ How can I have SATA work with Windows XP!!

FYI, my previous hard drive DiamondMax 9 160GB was SATA and what's confusing me is that DiamondMax 10 doesn't work!! are these two significantly different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to install the drivers from the floppy drive in order for windows to see the drive.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have used Windows XP CD to boot the computer and used floppy to install Maxtor XP SATA driver.
Windows installation goes to License ageement window then next screen to select partitioned HD to install displays NO HD. When pressed enter, blue screen error with 0x00000050 error appears.

Does it seem that maybe my BIOS is not upto date to handle this?
My previous Diamondmax 9 worked fine, not sure if it would makes difference.

Thanks,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you can always update your bios its not a bad thing to do anyway. I would get the drivers for your mobo dont use the ones you got with the hard drive. Go on the mobo manufacturers website and you can download the drivers for your motherboard.
You can use cpu z to get the model of your mobo if you dont know it.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks warriorscot,

I just got reply back from esupport.com which was suppose to have latest BIOS fro my PTGD-VX mother board's AMI BIOS. According to them I do have the latest BIOS..
I must be running out of option, should I change my hard drive?

Has anyone with simliar problem SATA & Windows XP resolved the problem when they were stuck at installation partition screen with no HD figure out what to do?

Thanks everyone!

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Maybe I'm getting close... So the driver that came with my hard drive is for Maxtor XP 150 PCI... However, my SATA is built into mother board (PTGD-VS Asus??). So that's where I think I'm going wrong...

Now I just have to find motherboard driver... Sony site has this as " Intel® 915G/P/GV Chipset " Please help me find SATA driver for this.

THanks!!

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think I found the right driver but doesn't work from Intel.

These are the choices I have..

1.Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)
2.Intel 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH7R/DH)
3.Intel 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH6R)
4.Intel 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH6R)
5.Intel 82801FBM SATA AHCIController (Mobile ICH6M)
6.Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH5R)
7.Intel 6300ESB SATA RAID Controller

I tried 6... ICH5R... THEN 7 AND 1... NOTHING WORKS..

Do I have wrong driver?

Edited by jl582, 01 August 2005 - 12:13 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right easiest way to fix this use cpu z find the exact make and model of the mobo i think alot of the vaio pcs are asus, go to the manufacturers website find your motherboard and there will be a list of specs look for the specific sata controler on the board and then get the drivers from there website.
Just ignore the sony stuff alltogether although i think the ichr6 ones should have worked you should go straight to the source.
Have you tried installing wondows on the old HD by the way. And you have got the drive in the correct port the non raid sata ports not the raid ones.

PC Glitches

PC Glitches

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just worked on the same machine and the floppy disk drivers to load the SATA/Raid drivers using the F6 are located here:

http://downloadfinde...dition&lang=eng

Looks like this topic is old but maybe it can help others. :tazz: