Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Progs won't respond

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nick

Nick

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello
After starting my Win98SE based computer with the internet not connected (stand-by mode) most of my in home progs will not respond untill I connect with the internet, once I am on line all works fine, also while the computer is booting (starting for the first time) it will freeze and display the message 'OSD not responding' end task/wait/shut down.
Any expert help will be appreciated
Nick.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Nick, welcome to our site. Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 4:49:06 PM, on 11/17/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\CCPXYSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMKEYBD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\KEYBDMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETROPA\ONE-TOUCH MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD\MMUSBKB2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE10\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com.../hp/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.yahoo.com...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.yahoo.com.../hp/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy.library.ubc.ca:8000
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00D6A7E7-4A97-456f-848A-3B75BF7554D7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: YBIOCtrl Class - {004A5840-FF59-11d2-B50D-0090271D3FD4} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccPxySvc] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Keyboard Manager] C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D6711C8-7154-40BB-8380-3DEA45B69CBF} -

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi
Wanted to find out what is your turn around time for a reply as I haven't received the solution for the diagnostic I had sent on the 17th.
Thanks
Nick

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I haven't received the solution for the diagnostic I had sent on the 17th.

1. You posted your log in reply to a pinned topic. Not a good place to get noticed.

2. Please post any replies in the same topic as your original post.

I moved your log into this topic, and will look at it now.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Just a little cleaning up to do here. Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00D6A7E7-4A97-456f-848A-3B75BF7554D7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: YBIOCtrl Class - {004A5840-FF59-11d2-B50D-0090271D3FD4} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

I doubt this will cure your problem. Have you been to Windows Update? Apply all critical updates. Also, apply any Office Updates.

Let us know the results! <_<

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Staff,
Thanks for your suggestion but it did diddly, please read my original post.
Thanks
Nick

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Staff,
Thanks for your suggestion but it did diddly, please read my original post.
Thanks
Nick

Why you would assume that we did not read your initial reply before replying ourselves is beyond me. I would like to say that fixing a computer problem over the internet is difficult since we cannot actually sit at your pc and see what's going on in person. I feel confident in assuming that you know as well as I that every computer is unique, therefore the problems will be too. This makes a first try, one time fix very difficult to achieve unless it is for a known problem with a known fix, in which case you do not have. My first suggestion to you would be:

To run System File Checker:

1. Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then point to Select System Tools.
2. Click System Information.
3. On the menu bar, click Tools.
4. Click System File Checker.
5. Choose either Scan for altered files or Extract one file from installation disk.
I believe you will have to have your Windows 98 installation disk handy during this process.

I am making no guarantees that this fix will work, but if you'll have patience and show courtesy to the staff members (especially the Admin), I believe through "trial and error" we can help you solve your problem.

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You also didn't answer my question. <_<

Have you been to Windows Update? Apply all critical updates. Also, apply any Office Updates.

OSD errors are common with some previous versions of Outlook and Outlook Express. Usually updating is all that's required.

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Mr Jonny Rotten,
Responding to your previous post, I have no reason intentionally or otherwise to be discourtious to the Admin or the staff, I believe all my postings have been thanking you even before my problem is solved :-)
Back to business, I have tried to keep my computer reasonably clean and up to date namely: running updates (Win, Office, Sym NIS, Defrag, clean tempfiles, IE cookies, run AdAware (Lavasoft), etc.
I followed your last instructions "To run System File Checker:

1. Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then point to Select System Tools.
2. Click System Information.
3. On the menu bar, click Tools.
4. Click System File Checker.
5. Choose either Scan for altered files or Extract one file from installation disk.
I believe you will have to have your Windows 98 installation disk handy during this process", and what I ended up with is that now my computer has crashed and won't start with an illegal message that it will shut down and just freezes :-( tried to restore the registry in the Safemode with a good backed up one but with no awail, PLEASE advice.
THANK YOU
Nick.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok I have a few things for you to fix this new problem and one to try to fix the original problem.

System File Checker Tool Crashes Windows 98

A new Windows 98 bug has been reported by Microsoft Coproration. The bug can occur after you run the System File Checker tool and then try to reboot your computer. Upon reboot your system may be unable to start Windows 98 properly.

When you use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to restore a Windows 98 system file (for example, the User.exe, Gdi.exe, or Krnl386.exe file) from a Windows 98 cabinet (.cab) file, the wrong version of the file may be extracted from the Mini.cab cabinet file. This can result in the inability to start Windows 98 (for example, your computer may stop responding) or "Windows Protection Error" error messages in normal and Safe mode. This symptom can occur when the System File Checker tool prompts you to restore a corrupt system file during a scan or when you extract and replace a system file using the System File Checker tool.

This behavior occurs because the System File Checker tool baseline file (Default.sfc) contains incorrect information about the source cabinet file locations for some Windows 98 system files. As a result, the System File Checker tool searches for the system file in the specified folder (if it is not in a cabinet file) and then in all cabinet files in the specified folder. The System File Checker tool searches cabinet files using their MS-DOS folder order and extracts the first instance found. If the Mini.cab cabinet file appears in an MS-DOS folder listing before the correct Windows 98 cabinet file (for example, the correct cabinet file for the User.exe file is the Win98_42.cab cabinet file.), the System File Checker tool may find the mini-Windows mode version of the system file in the Mini.cab cabinet file first. The Mini.cab cabinet file contains mini-Windows mode files used only by Windows 98 Setup and DriveSpace.

To work around this behavior, restart your computer using the Windows 98 Startup disk, choose Start Computer With CD-ROM Support from the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then re-extract the file at a command prompt using the Extract.exe tool. If you need help with using the Extract.exe Tool please read about this in the Microsoft's How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files knowledgebase.

Here are the instructions on extracting files from the startup disk:

Extract Files by Using Startup Disk
To start your computer with CD-ROM support and then extract files, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows 98 startup disk into drive A, and then restart your computer. 
2. When the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup menu appears, choose Start computer with CD-ROM support.

Note If you purchased your computer with Windows 98 installed, the cabinet files may be installed in the C:\Cabs folder. If these files are on your computer, you do not have to have CD-ROM support at this step, and you can extract the files that you must have from the folder on the hard disk. To do so, click Start computer without CD-ROM support, and then continue to step 4 without using step 3.
3. Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. 
4. Type ext at the command prompt, press ENTER, and then follow the instructions on the screen. 

Here's the full article with all the details on this:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;129605

After this is fixed reboot and do this:

Open Outlook Express and click on "Tools","Options","General"
Clear all the boxes that have checks.
Restart Outlook Express.

Also you can click on View from the menu bar and choose Layout, now disable the preview pane. (clear the check box).

Try this, if there is no improvement it may be that you have some corrupted files that may require the reinstall/repair of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Let me know how things go.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thx for the prompt reply - ok right now following MS help & support article, it gives me an error mesage "cannot open file:C:\(null)
Nick.

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yesterdays:
Thx for the prompt reply - ok right now following MS help & support article, it gives me an error mesage "cannot open file:C:\(null)

Todays:
What files am I supposed to extract from .cab
And also if you could let me know in details the foll:
Source Path:
File to Extract:
Destination Path:

THANK YOU
Nick

Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Mr Admin,
What happened to: "I believe through "trial and error" we can help you solve your problem. "
My post haven't been responded to since Nov/20th, I can understand if you are too busy but doesn't this delay seem a little bit too long? <_<
Thanks
Nick.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I had typed out a long reply to you, but you know what, I changed my mind and decided to close this topic. Good luck with your problem. Hopefully, you'll have better luck elsewhere.