Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot load anything on computer now

• Please log in to reply

old momma

old momma

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
The 1st thing comes on like it always did, where you can press del for setup and then it goes to verifying DMI Pool Data and then flashes real fast to:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

OK, since my disc does not seem to work, it could be bad, If I purchase another one. do you think this will fix it?

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello there,

Purchasing another copy of the retail Windows most likely would fix your computer's problem. It's worth a try.

If it fails to repair itself, then just return the OS CD. Unless, of course, you want to keep it.

Good Luck,
Matt

Edited by FalloutYear, 01 August 2005 - 12:14 AM.

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Thanks Matt, I will start pricing them tomorrow, I hope and pray that it will take care of it, I have put all new parts in it. If it does not work, I think it is time for me to just put it in the trash. But you have given me alittle hope again, Thank You, Brenda

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yeah, no problem!

As you stated that windows cannot locate its configuration file, then this should help. Config files contain all the good stuff including settings, start-up options, etc. Without that, you can't really run anything as every program includes a configuration file.

Oh, and be sure to get a Windows XP Professional CD, which roughly cost 300. If not, cheaper. Unless you find a OEM one, which is basically without the fancy box and would save you about 100-150 dollars. Here is an OEM one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832102343. It's the full retail version, minus the box. It's not used or refurbished either.

Good Luck,
Matt

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Matt, thank you for always answering me, I am sure you are getting tired of my complaints with my computer. I did try newegg like you suggested, but I could not
get any info. from them, the 1st 2 times I went to their link, they was having problems with it. But the good news is I should be getting 1 in a couple of days, Fed Ex will be delivering it, it was 150.00. It reads Windows XP Professional,
Full Version with Service Pack 2, New, Factory Sealed, Licensed and never registered. I hope that is what I was supposed to get. I will try it as soon as it gets here and let you know how it did. Please keep your fingers cross that this will take care of the problem. Now I have 350.00 invested in repairing this thing.
catch you later, Brenda

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello Brenda,

Good to hear that you're getting a new Windows XP Pro CD. I do also hope this helps, and I will keep my fingers crossed!

Good Luck,
Matt

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well, I got my new windows xp today, and I tried to load it, but it will not do anything different, so my old disk must have been alright, well now if it does go bad I already have a new one. Can anybody please tell me what I need to do now? I have tried everything that I know and nothing. Please, I just don't know what to do now. :tazz:

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello Brenda,

Sorry for the problem still. Have you tried to set the BIOS so it boots from the disk at startup? Every BIOS is different, so I don't know how to work yours or anything. But you should be able to access it by pressing DEL before windows completely starts up. There should be something in the BIOS where it would say something like "First Boot Hardware". Something like that, just make sure it says "First Boot", and change it to the CD-Drive where you put the Windows CD in. Then restart the computer and it should say something about booting from the CD when it's located in the drive and may ask you to press any key, you would do so. Now you will have all of these options if your CD boots correctly. You might want to choise "Repair - R" to repair your computer, or you can delete every singe file on your hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows. I suggest you first try repair.

Good Luck,
Matt

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am in advance BIOS now, and I already had the CDROM listed First Boot Device.
Second Boot DEvice - HDD
Third Boot Device - Floppy
Boot Other Device - Disabled
Boot UP Floppy Seek Enabled

I just changed Boot Other Device - To Enabled

Maybe my computer has not crashed completly, and it is still trying to load the old
XP.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hmm, if it's your first boot device, then I don't see why it's not working... Does it ASK you if you want to boot from the CD-Drive?

Advertisements

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am in advance BIOS now, and I already had the CDROM listed First Boot Device.
Second Boot DEvice - HDD
Third Boot Device - Floppy
Boot Other Device - Disabled
Boot UP Floppy Seek Enabled

I just changed Boot Other Device - To Enabled

Maybe my computer has not crashed completly, and it is still trying to load the old
XP.
I just noticed on the start up it says
Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.
could this have anything to do with my problem?

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
No, it does not ask me anything. It just wants me to press r when it come to the first page.

on the cdrom and the dvd player, in the bios, shouldn't they be reconized?
capacity 0M
Cylinder 0
Head 0
Precomp 0
Limit Zone 0
Sector 0
does this mean they are not reconized? or do only the Hard Drives have info. on these.

Edited by old momma, 03 August 2005 - 07:18 PM.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I'm not very sure. My BIOS doesn't say anything like that. Is that your CD Drive of your HardDrive?

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
It's the CD Driver that I always use to install programs in.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Brenda,

Your computer is telling you: Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

So this should help:

Your Secondary IDE channel is not a Secondary DRIVE.
It is the Secondary IDE connection on the motherboard.

So check your motherboard. The IDE connections on the motherboard should be labelled as Primary and Secondary.

Make sure your hard drive(s) are connected to the Primary IDE connection.
And your CD(s) to the Secondary IDE connection.

Double check your connections, both at the motherboard, and on the drives to make sure they are on the correct IDE channel, and seated securely Then try your boot.

Let me know what happens, okay?

G :tazz:

Edited by garyo1954, 04 August 2005 - 01:01 AM.