Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recommend an external drive

• Please log in to reply

tiara

tiara

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like somthing around 200 gig

I don't have heaps of money to spend but I would like something reliable. I can use both firewire and usb.

I use my laptop often for live video. it would be great if i can play video directly from the external hard drive without having to copy onto my laptop. Is this possible?

thanks!!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There are lots of possible solutions for you out there. There are ready made off the shelf units, like Seagate, Western Digital, Simpletech, Maxtor etc. You can also get an enclosure and then buy the hd of your choice to put it in. Google is your friend for something like this. Start searching. My first one was a usb2 & firewire combo enclosure I got from Xpc-gear, and a 160G Samsung hd from Newegg. My next ones were an ADS enclosure I got from my local Walmart for about $50.00 and a 250G hd from Sam's Club. I almost bought a Simpletech off the shelf....It just depends on how much you want to spend, and whether you can buy locally or have to pay shipping if you order over the internet. Good luck.