Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More problems

• Please log in to reply

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Right, I have a major problem with my computer, it runs on Windows 98. Basically, faults with my computer made system restore the only viable option. But the cd and floppy disk for it stop on 82% during the system restore process, always whilst trying to restore the file: windows/system/fonts/Matisse.ttf.

I have been advised to go to command prompt and put in scanreg.exe /fix, but with the system restore cd and floppy disk in, command prompt does not come up, instead, after five is pressed the system restore menu comes up. Without the cds, I get invalid disk or something similar. Any ideas?

Also, I have had this problem before and it was cured by putting in a series of things using A:/. Unfortunately, I have no record of them and the technical support line no longer exists. Does anyone have any idea what these 'commands' could have been?

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I take it that no-one knows what to do about this problem then!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We know what to do, we just have to get around to you. Before reinstalling Windows on an older machine you should always run the thorough scandisk and look at the logfile when it's completed. Put in your floppy and cd, boot from the floppy, type in scandisk, hit enter. After the first series of scans it will ask you if you want a thorough scan. Accept it, it may take an hour or so, but it will prevent you from wasting your effort on a failing disk. You can choose automatically fix errors and look at the log when completed, or the not automatic option, where it will prompt your for every eror it finds. It gives a nice visual of the disk in ms-dos mode.

If your drive receives a clean bill of health then you can install the system.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Was he asking for the A:/>fdisk /mbr ??

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the help.

How do u mean boot from the floppy? Do u mean put both the floppy and cd in and then go to the system restore screen? And where do you type in scandisk?

DOTCOMNUMBER7

DOTCOMNUMBER7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
What I am trying to say is that, I need an exact run through of what I press, at what screen I press it, and where I type scandisk. Because I'm not very computer literate!