Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reseting mbr/uninstalling dual boot

• Please log in to reply

BobWhite

BobWhite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello!

I did a search and found several topics close to what I needed but not exactly so I will ask. :tazz:

I have a drive with XP pro installed. I found that I disliked XP Pro and wished to return to Win2k. So as not to lose any data I left that installation in place and created a new partition (right behind that 1st one) with PM8. On this new partition I installed Win2k. Everything went fine except that I seem to have jacked up the XP installation as I can no longer boot into it - but that is fine as I don't really want to now.

Question is ... how do I get rid of:

1) The dual boot dialog at boot up - I seem to have created a dual boot setup and I don't want it as such - I want to format that 1st partition and use for data only. SO that the only boot option would be the Win2k installation. I've been reading that the mbr is on the first partition so I'm glad I didn't just go ahead and format that 1st partititon!

2) Change my 2nd partition (with Win2k) to drive letter C: - it's currently D: as it was installed with the pre-existing XP install as C: In the disk management section it won't allow me to change either partition as they are "boot" partitions. Am I stuck with D: as the drive letter? I have a lot of programs installed [already] so I guess it would cause a lot of trouble changing it now - right?

Thanks for any advice!

BobWhite

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What's wrong with XP pro? Any particular reason you dislike it?

makai

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Question is ... how do I get rid of:

1) The dual boot dialog at boot up - I seem to have created a dual boot setup and I don't want it as such - I want to format that 1st partition and use for data only.

If you no longer want the dual boot option to be displayed when booting up your system then simply reformat the entire hard drive and CREATE a partitionto reinstall windows 2000 Pro on (if you want dual boot) or install windows 2000 on the entire hard drive.

You can make your own boot.ini file very simple with notepad. Or you can use the one windows uses but you do have to enable "show hidden files and folders" then remove check from Hide Protected operating systems files" now you will be able to see the boot.ini file simply double click on it and make changes as needed. Hope this helps Irongeek

Edited by Irongeek, 01 August 2005 - 07:39 AM.