Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with wireless nic

• Please log in to reply

mihaisofti

mihaisofti

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My wpc54g wireless network icon in the systray shows a red cross. I uninstalled this card and reinstalled it. Still the red cross on the systray icon. Despite this, the linksys utility was able to detect the signal from a DSL-604T wireless router. Same problem using XP to detect signal - it can see it but will not connect, and still the red cross. Uninstalled this, although it doesn't seem to be a very clean uninstall, as there are still many entries for it in the registry. Installed D_link Air Plus XtremeG DWL-G650 rev.2. Same problem - the dlink utility can see the wireless router's signal, but not connected and red cross, again.
the wpc54g shows up as working properly in the device manager. I ran cleanup40.exe (got rid of a staggering 2GB), but still no joy. Is there something I can do. I have looked at Technet and other forums, but can find nothing that helps.

Has anyone had this problem, or similar, and managed to sort it out? Do I need to reinstall part of the network software?

TIA

Mihaisofti

Advertisements

simplejohn

simplejohn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey mihaisofti

Have you tried to consult with D-link support service.
I far as i know, it could be also a wrong conneciton type (ad-hok insted of infrastructure)
have you tried to check this?
Check if there is no wep encryption enabled on one side that makes this problem

Niel Armstrong

Edited by Keith, 12 September 2005 - 04:29 PM.

mihaisofti

mihaisofti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, SimpleJohn,

I don't feel that the problem lies with D-link or Linksys products, since the problem is identical with both cards, ie both cards can sense the presence of any wireless router wherever I am. Windows wireless network software senses and correctly identifies any and all wireless items, but the red cross remails steadfastly across the wireless network icon in the systray, and will not connect

yours perplexedly

Mihaisofti