Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repair Master Boot Record

• Please log in to reply

Marcke

Marcke

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Does anyone know how to repair the master boot record?

XP-explorer doesn't recognise my drive (norton and pqmagic do)

I don't need the data anymore, recovered it using Stellar.

I have to press F1 on every boot, when my hard disk is attached. (thanks to SMART)
I use another primary boot drive of 160GB. The broken drive is a slave.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wannes

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you use the windows xp disk and go into repeair console o on the drive thats broken and type FIXMBR.

Marcke

Marcke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you use the windows xp disk and go into repeair console o on the drive thats broken and type FIXMBR.

View Post

thanks, but what do you mean by "go into repair console", just enter it in dos?

Wannes

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you get to the blue menu screen and you get the options there is one for repair. you press the particualr button r i think but i cant remeber exactly you get put into the console usually takes a minute and its a dos job. So you type the drive letter to get onto that drive and you type fixmbr and it will write the new mbr it may warn you about a non standard boot record just ignore it. Type help to get a list of the commands if there are other things you want ot do.