Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unusual sound problem

• Please log in to reply

Syrick

Syrick

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is a really unusual thing to happen, and I have no idea how it could happen. All sounds on my computer now has a reverb on it. If you don't know what I mean by reverb, it's as if you make a noice is a big hall or something and it prolongs the noise. It's really frustrating cause I have no idea how it could happen.

It only happened today somehow. I've recently gotten Ventrilo, a server based voice chat room, but I don't think that it would be able to affect it.

So has anyone heard of this before? Or, is there anyway I can reset my sound? I have a feeling that re-installing the drivers won't do anything.

Please help.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Start > Run , type 'dxdiag' (without the quotes) and press 'Enter'.
Go through the tests under the Sound tab and the troubleshooters under the More Help tab.
If the problem started after installing new software then it's likely to be the new software causing the problem. Try uninstalling recently installed software and see if the problem is corrected.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Perhaps you have changed the "ambience" setting for the sound card.

Open Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices... check all the settings there and see if something is amiss.

Depending on who makes the sound card, you can have a plethora of sound options. You might even see a tray icon that allows you to adjust the ambience settings.

makai

Syrick

Syrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's running SB Live! Wave Device. Basic Sound Blaster 5.1

Interestingly, when I run the dxdiag, some of the test sound's don't have the reverb, or it doesn't sound like there is much reverb.

The tests that it doesn't reverb on are.

Mono, 8-bit 22Khz, from a Hardware buffer.
Stereo, 8-bit 22Khz, from a Hardware buffer.
Mono, 16-bit 22Khz, from a Hardware buffer.
Stereo, 16-bit 22Khz, from a Hardware buffer.

Although it did do it for the second time it had those same tests... If it is still acting up next time I reset, i'll try uninstalling the program and maybe re-installing the drivers.

EDIT: Another interesting thing. It doesn't happen when playing music with iTunes, I assume the same with any other music playing program. The reverb happens with system, game, flash. I think that somehow some setting shave changed, but I don't have a clue where.

Edited by Syrick, 01 August 2005 - 08:00 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you installed all the programs that came with your sound card, you should have the options to choose the ambience settings.

Right click on your speaker icon in the tray and go through the options.

If you want to avoid any more soundblaster problems, I would advise you only install the basic driver, and not all the rest of the junk on the CD. The basic driver is found on the CD in the Audio/Drivers/Win2_XP folder... or something like that. Just guide XP to this folder when it asks for the driver.

makai

Syrick

Syrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The sound card is a bit old, and we don't have the CD. I got the driver's from the net, creative site i'm pretty sure. I'll get back to you about this in about 8 hours...

Syrick

Syrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, after the reset, it's working ok now. I have no idea how it could have happened, just for system sounds basically, and now it's not happening. Weird.

Thanks for the help anyway guys.