Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Great Deal with a catch

• Please log in to reply

smurfs_war

smurfs_war

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

Im not new to computers but all I know is what ive learned from reading and teaching myself, so bare with me PLEASE.

I bought my computer off of my brothers girlfriend real cheap,
but I didnt get any of the CD's with it and it was overrun with viruses
and spyware.

So I think i used and illegal copy of Windows XP but the computer isn't that old and the original CD Key is on the case, but when I tried to use it with the disk
I have it didnt work so i had to use the key i got with disk.

My question is, Is there a way to change the CD key to the original without the
original CD?

I want to learn all i can about computers but money doesnt grow on trees, so
anything i can learn from anyone who reads this please give me a shout.

Thanks for understanding my stupidity

Jimmy

P.S. :tazz: rule

Advertisements

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
What you are probably needing is an OEM CD.

When you buy a piece of hardware, either a full PC or even just a Hard Drive you can get an OEM copy of windows for it.

Which is basically the full version of the OS, but limited for use only on that PC or hardware.

If you have the original CD Key (normally stuck on the side of the PC Case) then all is well and you neednt panic. You can simply contact MS and request a new CD (as long as it is for a current version of windows) and they will send you one out, just make sure they know it is OEM as the OEM serial key you have only will work with the OEM windows.

They will probably charge you a small amount >$20 I am guessing, either that or you should be able to buy the OEM CD without a serial key for peanuts from ebay.

Good Luck!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If u have'nt already activated u Windows.
Start->Run, Type oobe/msoobe /a. Press Enter.
This will open the Windows Activation Wizard, where u can also change the serial-key and since u have a original u can also activate it.
I don't remember where exactly in the Wizard it gives the Change Serial Key option, becuase my Windows is already activated and i cant run the wizard again.

smurfs_war

smurfs_war

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Guys,

Unfortinately, the morning after I posted this question my computer craped out on me. its a 2003 model and i had a 3 year waranty on it. They have already replaced the motherboard and processor twice. This time im not sure if its same thing or not but its a P.O.S.! So im going to have to get another computer. May keep this one for parts, not sure if it will be compatible with new one, I doubt it.

But anyways,
thank you for your imput, its hard to get anyone to help with this kind of stuff.

Rest assured I will stay alert to this site to learn more. Easy to do by reading everything, and thx again.

Smurfs_war