Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing dual Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply

Meek

Meek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello to one and all! Being an oldie newbie...I have little to contribute, but hopefully, if any others have the same intention, any responses will benefit them. Searched through the topics (Which were all Greek to me!...I thought 'BIOS' was an abbreviation of 'biosphere!) but did not come across any solution. I can only hope I am not wasting the time of others.

WindowsXP will not install Primax Colorado USB 19200 scanner and no updated drivers are available from Primax. I did download a 'XPtwain' driver reputedly enabling installation in XP but which was unsuccessful in my case.

This scanner works perfectly well in Windows98SE, hence my hope to install both OS's

Current setup : 'C' drive = Maxtor 6E040L0 40 GB........... WinXP installed.
'E' drive = FUJITSU MPB3032ATU 3 GB..... WinXP installed.
My intention is to format drive 'E' and install Win98SE...VERY ambitious on my part as I am not even sure about the formatting!

It will be obvious to anyone reading this that, regarding technical jargon, words of one syllable are stretching my capabilities to the limit and anyone kind enough to respond will be sacrifiing considerable time in the process! Thank you for your time if you have read thus far anyway. :tazz: Carry on Geeking!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Google groups has many hits on your scanner running on XP.

One such hit leads to this driver... scroll down the page to FILE NAME... Primax.zip
http://members.drive...?driverid=45540

Another hit says you have to install the Win2000 driver in "compatibility" mode.
http://groups-beta.g...d2123641e8f17c1

Try these and see if they work... it may save you the headache of trying to dual boot.

makai

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...just as a suggestion......scanners are pretty cheap now adays...it may be time to upgrade to a new device that is truly xp compatable...i've never had much fun with drivers being installed in compatability mode

Meek

Meek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Phewee! That was quick! Thanks to you both. Unfortunately the Primax Scanner programme in XP has been corrupted in that I cannot find an .exe to open it!...And XP rejects the Primax CD installation saying it is only available for Win95 and 98 ;) Yes...It is an old scanner, but very reliable...Or was until Microsoft made it obsolete, which is the whole point of the exercise...Does Mr. Gates think EVERYONE is made of money! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Actually, Microsoft didn't make it obsolete.. the manufacturer of the scanner did when they decided NOT to make drivers for Win2000 or XP for it..

Murray

Meek

Meek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
makai : -

"One such hit leads to this driver... scroll down the page to FILE NAME... Primax.zip
[url=http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=45540]http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...?driverid=45540"

Did as you suggested and downloaded and installed the driver from above site. Flatbed Scanner driver is now installed...But not the Primax programme exe....Missing files LTKRN80N.dll and LTIMGN80N.dll. Found the first online and have downloaded and filed it but no luck with the second :tazz: Thank you for your response.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

LTIMGN80N.dll

Are you sure about the name? I have been able to find LTIMG80N.DLL. Note that there is no "N" after the letter "G".

makai

Meek

Meek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
You are perfectly correct, thank you...Did find and download the file LTIMG80N.DLL...With the 'N' afater the 'G' ommitted! :tazz: together with LFIL80N.DLL which was also required. Almost had the Primax Scanner programme opened...Until I was presented with : - "Could not load pmx_g2e"...And that file I cannot find anywhere, on the installation CD, locally or 'out there!' Nevertheless, I thank you for your time and trouble, greatly appreciated. ;)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry to say, my search turned up "0" too. However, don't give up. Try searching "Google Groups" for another driver. The Groups in Google are more likely to have some info on a driver that might work than a generic search of the web.

Good luck,
makai

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Might try http://driverzone.com.....

possibly try the win95 compatibility mode on the scanner program

JMHO,

G

Meek

Meek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the suggestion garyo...No luck there either as the scanner appears as installed in Device Manager where 'This device is working properly' is displayed but is nowhere to be seen in 'Scanners and Cameras' in Control Panel, subsequently I have no control over the compatibility modes. Sigh! My original intention of dual OS's might have been simpler in the long run, although that is beyond my capabilities...What isn't?...S'The Alzhiemers ye ken! :tazz:

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
okay Meek.

I will give it a think. Being in that age range (50+) the alzheimers comes and goes.....the best days i get the answers before i know the problems....

then forget how to apply them???

:tazz: