Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clicking sound on boot

• Please log in to reply

Tribmos

Tribmos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a system which goes into an unusual cycle when its trying to load windows. It boots up in bios (with beep), goes through scandisk, then attempts to load windows.

Shortly after this point it makes a clicking sound, and the HDD light flashes relative to the clicking sound. Last week the power supply on the system went bad so changed that out and worked well for that week.

Additional info on the system: its rather barebones, just MB with floppy drive, and ethernet.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of clicking sound? does it sound like something clicking agianst something? or the kind of clicking you get from a floppy?

Tribmos

Tribmos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well all my signs point to the clicking being from the harddrive since now its not making the sound and getting that wonderfull cannot find error. Luckly it dosent have a lot of custom apps to load.

Thanks for trying to help, i'm just wishing it was something less drastic, but thats part of the job.