Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New power supply, PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

jcnuke

jcnuke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
All.
I replaced my PSU yesterday. System is an Intel p4/HT with Intel MB. New power supply is an ANTEC NEO 480. System worked fine prior to change out. I replaced the PSU since I didn't like the generic lower power one that came with the PC. everything went very well, BUT I made an error. I accidentally plugged the CPU fan into the rear chassis fan control plug. Upon initial power up everything ran for about 1 minute (including fan) then it all shut down. now when i power up everything seem to power up fne (chassis fans, peripherals, MB pwer status light), but the CPU fan no longer runs (i plugged it into the correct plug) and the PC won't boot (no monitor lights). did I fry something?

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the cpu fan spin up in it's proper location? or is it not movin?

jcnuke

jcnuke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THe fan no longer operates. all other fans operate nrmally

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may have fried the fan....most new mobos will recognize that the fan isn't working and shut off immediately...get another cpu fan and try it

jcnuke

jcnuke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I guess it makes sense, no fan so the unit protects itself by refusing to operate.
I appreciate the help.