Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor damage

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I was wondering if it was possible to damage my monitor if on for a very very long time?[24 plus straight hrs] If somebody could lend me some help here it would be great.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's a new monitor and you have a screen saver...it should be fine....older monitors without screen savers were prone to monitor burn....but the newer ones have protection against that....but in generall just have a screen saver running

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may be able to have your monitor power off after a certain time, the setting may be in Setup or your Power Management.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Only if it is an older model crt monitor and it had a static picture on it the whole time.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
The monitor I was using was a newer model ESA CRT. I didn't have any screensavers running actually and I was running a bittorrent client for the most part. Also I was less worried about leaving burns form static images on the screen and more so on overheating/causing internal damage to the CRT.

I had another monitor which was kinda old and accidentally left it on for about the same time and when I noticed it was still on it was working but then soon after went blank and had this weird clicking noise.[so I had to dump it and buy the ESA CRT] Any more help or advise would be great and thanks already to dsenette, Tyger and warriorscot for each of you replys so far.