Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Reboot

• Please log in to reply

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My Dell computer won't reboot. It's not recognizing the drives so I can't reinstall XP. I think it got a virus (my husband goes to a lot of inappropriate sites and get's viruses like wild fire) and I have been able to fix the 3 previous ones but I can't fix this one... any help you can give would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to buy a new computer! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by it won't boot? what happens when you turn the machine on? any noises? beeps? does anything come up on the screen? error messages?

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The screen comes up. says press f1 for normal or f2 for setup... press f1 and it tells you to do it again... f2 says no harddrive and no cdrom.. only the floppy drive is installed...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
turn the machine off...open the case and remove the little battery that's on the mother board....hold the power button in for five seconds...then put the battry back in..close the case..power back kup

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will try that when I get home... thanks for the advice!!!

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried this last night and the same thing is still happening...

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am a little late here, but what happens if you hit F1 the second time?

I am thinking F1 and F2 are your possible options....

F1 being to continue....
F2 should send you to setup.....

Pressing F1 the first time tells the machine to continue.....
Pressing it the second time confirms you want to continue....

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I hit F1 and it beeps and says hit F1 or F2... I hit it again and the same thing.... I hit F2 and it shows the Floppy drive but it says that the CD & the hard drive aren't installed.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Start by checking your cables.

G

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have already checked the cables and nothing still..... any other suggestions

Advertisements

fogshat

fogshat

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ive had more than one western digital hd fail in a dell

(which is why i have a 2 seagate hds installed in a dell alongside the original wd which i just left in there cause it was too much a pain to get out what with how well they laid it in the bottom front of the case you'd have to dismantle the whole dimension thing to get it out boy can i wander off topic)

however in your case i'd hit F2, and check if bios "sees" your Hard drive. if it does in fact i'd try check boot order put cd 2nd (hd first) and boot to system disk and try repair OS

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I tried that and it doesn't. I think the hard drive is bad.... It doesn't see the hard drive or the CD drive... So I think I might have to replace it... are they really that big of a pain to get out?

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I would bet that the mainboard is bad if it is not recognising the two items together. Unless they are connected to the same ribbon cable, which may cause me to wonder about the integrity of the ribbon cable.

mkeesal

mkeesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So is the ribbon cable something that is replaceable.....

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cables almost never go bad. It sounds like a bad hard drive. Try disconnecting the hard drive and keep the cdrom connected. Enter cmos to see if it recognizes the Cdrom. If it does, your hard drive is bad.