Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, please.

• Please log in to reply

zapka

zapka

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got a new motherboard for my PC and had to reinstall Windows XP. Halfway through the installation, I realized that I lost my Product Key for it so I had no choice but to shut the computer off and fix the problem some other time. Now, when I try to start the computer, all I get is a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. Nothing will boot. I have tried booting from my Windows XP CD and changing the BIOS, but nothing works.

What I plan to do now is to just have my disk reformatted, and reinstall everything - including Windows. But I was wondering if there is a way I can remotely access my disk's registry from another system to extract my Product Key. Remember that I cannot start Windows on my disk. So I'm guessing that I would have to install my current hard disk onto another PC in able to get to the registry. Am I correct? Is this even possible?

Any help at all would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wow.....this does not bode well for you....i will double check the legality...but...i'm pretty sure no one here will be able to help you get your product key off of the disk...being that we cannot verify your ownership....you could be trying to get the key from a pirated version of windows...or you could be trying to get the key from someone elses machine...i will ask...untill then sit tight.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you have already formatted the drive once when you first realized you didn't have your key....then you are probably S.O.L....it's not 100% clear what stage of the process you turned the machine off at....could you be more descriptive about where exactly you got into trouble?

zapka

zapka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I haven't reformatted the disk yet. I was installing Windows and had to turn off the computer at the screen where it asks for the Product Key. If I remember correctly, it displayed 33 minutes left until completion of installation.

I do not want to use a pirated copy. I dont want to use other people's keys either. As of now, buying a new copy of Windows seems to be the only option. But a new copy is expensive here. What I am looking for is a way that I can use my old Product Key again - somehow be able to find it on my hard disk. Should I just go ahead and call Microsoft? Is that the only way to fix this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Replacement of CD or Product Keys

To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.micro...;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Edited by Keith, 01 August 2005 - 08:42 PM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Zapka,

When replacing a motherboard you should not replace the operating system, in this case XP.

The new motherboard comes with a set of drivers on a CD. These are what you install into XP if necessary.

JMHO,
G

zapka

zapka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, I know that. Its just that I didnt replace the motherboard myself. I had the guys over at the shop where I bought the motherboard do it. And when I got my PC back, Windows wouldn't start anymore so I had to reinstall it... which has lead to my current problem? Any ideas? Anyone?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
www.dsenette.geekstogo.com/tools/ then click the ubcd4win file and download it....then let me know that you have it

zapka

zapka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, I'm downloading it now. I'm assuming you'll want me to burn it onto a CD and then use it on my dead PC. But I can't boot CDs on my PC. I already set the BIOS to read the CD first when booting but all I get is that black screen.

Worth a shot, though. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can't boot from a cd......then how are you installing windows?

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
(post removed by G)

Edited by garyo1954, 03 August 2005 - 09:00 AM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Zapka,

Sorry I haven't been offering any help here, but I thought you had decided to reformat and reinstall everything.......

Where there are many things you can attempt at this point, my real concern is if we are moving in a positive direction?

Swapping drive, or networking might be possible and would be time consuming.
I am not sure completely understand the problem at this point.

So please if you will tell us about the system you are having problems with?
What drives can you boot from?

Thanks,
G

zapka

zapka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was able to boot from CDs before, but after the incident that I had to restart my PC in the middle of the installation, I find that I cannot do so anymore. I know it seems like a very complicated problem - and it really is.

I don't think I can boot from any of my drives. I have 3 hard disks, all of which are partitioned. I am assuming that my main drive now is unreadable. I have 2 CD drives as well - a DVD and a writer, both of which I cannot boot from anymore since after the 'incident.' And I dont have a floppy drive.

I apologize that I cannot be any more clearer. I do not understand the problem myself. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback though. At this point, I am already considering having my disk reformatted. It really does seem to be the only option I have now. And as for an OS, I probably will just reuse my old copy of Windows 2000 for the meantime.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes, at this point a new install seems the easiest and fastest solution.

Good Luck!

G :tazz: