Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help cd rom not reecognized on computer

• Please log in to reply

wdntexas

wdntexas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Murray,

I have a copied WinXP cd (I copied it myself, from my legal CD's that I bought for $5 each - student license price @ university) that I am trying to boot from. I've adjusted the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first, but I still can't get the CD to boot. I've even tried booting the CD in another computer (also configured to boot from the CD first) and it failed.

What is the difference between the original and the copied CD's? I only made the copy of WinXP because I'm travelling, and I didn't want to risk losing the original CD. The copied CD is only for my personal use, therefore, it's legal since I own a legit license.

The reason that I'm trying to bot from the CD is to perform a repair operation... I turned on my PC this morning to find that comctl32.dll is corrupt... :tazz:

Thanks a million for any work-arounds you can offer...

Cheers,

Bill

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you first make an .Iso image of the xp cd? then when you burned it...did you burn it as a bootable iso image cd?

wdntexas

wdntexas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
NO... I didn't do any of that. I'm several state borders away from home, i.e. where the original CD is. Am I S.O.L. without the original CD since I didn't do any of what you described when I made the copy? Or is there something I can do with the copy, maybe burn it again and make it bootable?

Thanks, dsenette, for your fast reply...

Bill

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup....S.O.L.ish.....you might be able to copy the current disk over as an iso image then burn it correctly....give it a shot