Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop, Please help!

• Please log in to reply

cynicall55

cynicall55

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I am having serious problems with my computer. While it is kind of rundown, old, and probably should be replaced, I still need it. It is still running Windows 98, has adaware installed, and I run the trend micro housecall scan on it every week. A few nights ago I was looking for song lyrics to "Cow Cow Boogie," and google linked me to a page called lyricsfreak.com. After going to the page, my computer had a heart attack, was consumed by pop-ups, then went to the blue screen of death. When I restarted my computer, it said "midi playback failed." Then it says that IE failed to load properly and must shut down. There are no icons on my desktop and when I hit control, alt, delete, no programs are running.

Please help!

My roomate has been kind enough to let me use his Mac for a few days, so I will be able to check my email.

Thank you in advance for any help.

~Sarah

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try start > run > explorer.exe....this should bring up your windows explorrer and your desktop....but probably only temporarily....if it comes up then follow this :
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

cynicall55

cynicall55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't have a task bar either. When I hit control, alt, delete nothing is running.

Thanks for the fast reply.

~Sarah

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure of the 98 funtionality of this but if you have a windows key on your keyboard press windows key and r at the same time...this should bring up run

cynicall55

cynicall55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That did nothing. Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks for helping me out!

~Sarah

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from task manager do new task > explorer.exe

cynicall55

cynicall55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I hit control, alt, delete, the only options given to me are end task, cancel, and shut down.

~Sarah