Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SMART FAILURE PREDICTED --- PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

Linh_Pham

Linh_Pham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running on Windows XP, with a Satellite 1955, and just want to disable the SMART thing step-by-step.

I tried pressing F2 at boot-up but couldn't find anything about SMART. Is there another way to do this?

I used many different programs and found out that there was no problem with my HDD, so I think disabling SMART would help.

I am not good with computers, so if somone would tell me how to disable it step-by-step I would really appreciate it.

I thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Ok...I give up...What is "SMART".Is it a service from Toshiba?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Ok...I give up...What is "SMART".Is it a service from Toshiba?

View Post

Come on OneCool, you should know this one!

SMART - Self monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology

Linh_Pham
Many modern bios's have smart built in to them but you should be able to disable it in the bios. Are you certain theres no setting for this in the bios?
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't though, its quite possible Toshiba have removed this option to disable it from the bios. I'll look into it for you

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Also, have you tried running Toshibas HWSetup utility from Windows control panel?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Come on OneCool, you should know this one!

SMART - Self monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology

I love when women talk "tech"...its so hot!!!!!! :tazz:

;)

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well i know that once smart starts saying your hard drive is failure chances are perty soon the drive will not work. my old drive lasted 3 days after it told me lol.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah if your computer starts telling you something is on the verge of failure it more than likely is and you dont want to disable it.

Linh_Pham

Linh_Pham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Toshiba HWsetup..? I can't find it, but will it allow me to disable certain functions such as SMART?

I am still trying to disable it, but I can't find it in BIOS... what would it be under because I have PhoenixBIOS or something and can't find it. Is there another way to disable it?

I have windows XP... in case you are wondering.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
These things arent designed to be disabled, it would be a bad idea to do so. You wont find it in bios its something that is built into the disk itself alot of the time. But again why would you want to disable it, get some hd diagnostic software and find out whats wrong with the drive.