Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply

praneetss

praneetss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently formatted my hard drive. I am trying to sign onto my ISP but the system cannot detect a modem. Also, when I power up the system and look at the task manager under processes, I see that there are 41 applications running at once. Anyone knows what's going on and how I do I fix this please?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
35 to 40 apps is pretty common for an XP machine. More important might be how much memory they are using and how much do you have. You can look at Running Processes to find out.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
To figure out detailed information http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en on on your situation, use Everest Home:

Edited by paulcomputerman, 01 August 2005 - 04:15 PM.

praneetss

praneetss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was told by tech support at AOL that in order for me to get online, there should be only 15 applications running. Is that a load of crap?

So how do I get over the issue of connecting to the internet when the system keeps saying that it cannot locate modem or the modem is not responding?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you been into the task manager yet?
Control Panel>System>Hardware> Device Mgr
Check for any errors, update drivers etc
You may need to physically reseat your modem, or replace it with a known good one (dial up modems are not expensive) if the Device Manager doesn't help you "find" the modem.

The AOL tech is wrong about how many running processes should be present. My system boots with 33. A good program to trim down what "turns on" at start up is Mike Lin's StartUp CPL
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
You can eliminate programs selectively by the new tab it will create in your control panel.

Johanna

praneetss

praneetss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The system seems to find an internal modem but when I try and log on it says modem not loacted.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
go back to device mgr and right click on your modem, select properties. Let XP update the drivers generically- and maybe that will be enough to get you online so that you can go to the manufacturer's site to get their driver.

Johanna