Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New computer.

• Please log in to reply

FreeFall

FreeFall

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well my "mom's" computer is getting old lol and I was looking to build a new one. I've been looking at newegg.com for parts and what I have come up so far was

Motherboard:ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard
Prossecor:AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
Video Card:ATI 100-435513 Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Memory:Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 333 (PC 2700) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
HardDrive:Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
CD Drive:PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner Model PX-712SA/SW-BL
Fan:ZALMAN RESERATOR 1 Fanless Water Cooling System
OS:Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional With Service Pack 2
Case: IDK Yet wanted some opions first.

This is my first computer im going to build and i have a budget of liek $1500. I will most likey playing CS:S ,CS 1.6, COD 2,BF2, and R6 lockdown.
Well Tell me what you guys think. Any opions would be greatly appreciatied.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks good but the raptor isnt the best way to spend your money they are expensive and there advantages arent really worth the price and the small disk size. If it your first pc then water cooling isnt the best way to go, it also isnt required with an amd processor they get good temps with the stock hsf for a cpu though you want a san diego core for socket 939 not 754. And you dont need an SLI motherboard just a normal nforce 4 ultra. Case is a personal thing just dont get one with a generic power supply you want to buy that seperately and try and get a case with room for a pair of 120mm fans.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
1 ya need socket 939 athlon 64 processor
2 the ram can be pc3200/ddr400 dual channel to take full advantage of the dual channel ram to the processor with memory chipset in it :-)

Edited by RogueComGeek, 01 August 2005 - 08:49 PM.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah well i dont know much. I was just going through everything fast and I liked everything for my money. Well I changed the hard drive to sumtin bigger a Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive. I dont get why the 754 to 939 sockets cause suck a jump in value? So i went with the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. I changed the ram to Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory. About the Fan I wanted to keep it as cool as possible cause sumtimes i spend long times on the computer playing games. If thier is sumtin better then the water cooler say or idk if I want to keep it. I decided to go with the Ultra UV Wizard Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with UV Reactive Clear Side, Front USB & Firewire Ports and Ultra X-Connect 500-Watt Power Supply. If you notice any other problems or suggestions plz reply.

Edited by FreeFall, 02 August 2005 - 12:52 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should get a sata 150 drive they are alot better than ide ones, there is a big jump in value to go with the fact that they are alot better, faster, cooler the whole gig. If you used the stock cooler i dont think you woulf even get to 50 degrees after even a monster gaming session, And in terms of overclocking you arent going to get much more from a venice 3800 i would say go with the 3700 san diego if you can get it. Mind you even overclocked athlon 64s are still pretty cool cpus. And like i said you should get a non sli mobo since you are getting an ATI, even if you were getting an nvidia card i wouldnt reccomend trying sli anyway.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok so far I have
Motherboard:ASUS A8N-E ATX AMD Motherboard
Prossecor:AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Video Card:ATI 100-435513 Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Memory:Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
HardDrive:Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
CD Drive:PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner Model PX-712SA/SW-BL
Fan:IDK yet
OS:Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional With Service Pack 2
Case: Ultra UV Wizard Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with UV Reactive Clear Side, Front USB & Firewire Ports and Ultra X-Connect 500-Watt Power Supply

Any problems plz say.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks good the x800 is a cracking card i have run every game i have at max settings and it hasnt complained. I also hear good things about patriot ram aparently it gets some very good timings. What do you mean by fan, for case fans get akasa fans they make some of the quietest fans and have the best selection and performance. You get a HSF with the cpu if you buy PIB which is a good idea.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah i seen all the review on ATI's website and said it was better then the 6800.
Yeah i think i saw peolpe saying on here or another forums saying patriot was more expensive and better performance but corsair is cheaper and realiable too.

I was thinking of replacing the stock led fan with a diffrent fan ill look at the akasa fans. Can I get a fan I can change the color of the led color like in the dell xps's?
Also is thier any way I can get uv lights in side my case.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lots of ways to get uv lights in the case, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ thats the place to go if you are uk for case modding stuff, cooling, cases and hardware. A couple of cold cathodes are cheap low power and look good, im probably going to get a set myself eventually but im not as into the asthetics of the case as i am whats inside it. Yeah you can always get those fans the dell ones use. I only wish they made cold cathode fans in 120mm.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think im going to get a Sunbeam Black Chameleon Multi-Color Light Kit Sunbeam Black Chameleon Multi-Color Light Kit this way i can change the color of the whole case. Im still looking for a changing led fan.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey FreeFall...Check out this case...it's got great cooling, good bay arrangements, and lots of space. I just built a gamer into one and the fella I built it for thinks it's the greatest! :tazz:

http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=15001

wannabe1

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah its nice but I really like the ultra cause it nice looking exspcieally when I add the chamelon lighting :tazz: and it came with the 500W power supply. So for the power supply byt its self is leik 60 its worth the bundle. ;)

Edited by FreeFall, 02 August 2005 - 08:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The lanboy has great cooling the 120mm fans get the heat out in no time 50 i the hottest temp i get from my pc is 45 degrees.
What brand is the PSU that came with it one of the worst mistakes you can make is to buy a generic psu with a case. Its the fastest way to having home firework displays.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 August 2005 - 05:31 AM.

tenbroya

tenbroya

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yeah, and if you are going to buy a case with a door that hides the drive bays AND that chameleon Lighting Mod thingy then make sure there is enough room for the control panel behind the door.

Otherewise you may have to either install the control panel sunken into the 5.25" mounts (which does not always work). Or change the case/lighting.

If you could choose which case you want, then maybe someone will be able to tell you more about this.

Tenbroya

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its a pretty nasty lookin control unit, there are some good ones out there that look really good and have better funcionality.