Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a New computer.

• Please log in to reply

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think I dont want the chamelon thing its just really a waste of money I have been looking and seen way better things. I might get Ultra UV Series Super Bright Light Tubes for sumtin to light up my comp cause late night gaming I usually turn the lights off so sumtin to add a glow would be nice.
I might just go with the lanboy case and get the ultra 500W Power Supply.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hardware should always come before asthetics and a pair of cold cathodes from overclockers is just over 8 quid so they arent expensive and just stick on to the case top and bottom and give you the glow you want. Add another blue led for the back and thats another 10 so lights are easily gotten and cheap you should concentrate on getting the most hardware for your money at this point.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah well what I have so fair is great exspecially with your help my comp should be as good I as expected it. Im waiting for a buddy of mine over in iraq to get home to help me finish and finilaze the parts im getting and help me set it up.

TheShadow_FL

TheShadow_FL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
At the very heart of your computer, and one of the biggest bottlenecks is the HD.

Today you have several choices,,,,the most popular are the IDE's and the SATA's.
Most IDE's in the stores are only ATA100's. Kind of slow for a gaming machine.
ATA 133's are available but much harder to find.

Then we have the (New) SATA's. Priced about the same as the older and much slower IDE's. [I was just looking at Western Digital's Website this morning and they have some really good buys on Re-Certified drives.]

I just upgraded my own system about three months ago by adding a WD1200JD-00HBB0 (120 gig, SATA hard drive). Once the data was transfered from the old Maxtor 60 gig ATA133 drive, the new SATA drive was up and screeming on its new PCI/SATA controller card.

I do a Ghost image of my C: drive several times a week and it used to take me 30 minutes to make the image file (with fast compression) and save it to D: (second partition on the Maxtor drive)

I was totally blown away when my new SATA drive did exactly the same job in just under three (3) minutes. WOW, that's really haulin' the mail!!!! :tazz:

Many games are very HD dependent....you'll play much smoother I'm sure with a SATA HD in your system. ;)

Don't forget the drive cooler. I lost four drives (7200rpm) to heat fatique before I found out about the true value of a drive cooler. I use the two-fan coolers that bolt on to the bottom of the drive. I stand them off with the little brass standoffs used to mount the mobo to the case,,,for much improved air flow.
Today, I wouldn't even think of installing a new HD without a cooler.

Also, if your OS is optomized for the RAM you have installed, and your Kernal is loaded into RAM, the system will function much better. I've put these registry tweaks on my webpage or easy access by all those capable of doing them.
I regularly intall these very tweaks for my customers and the improvement in performance is sizeable.

Good Luck with your new system. It can be very rewarding to build your own.

God Bless,
Shadow :)

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the words Shadow. Ill write that down with all the other stuff peolpe have been telling me. My Friend over in iraq who knows alot about computers was talking to me about getting the new ATI CrossFire with the DFI CrossFire mobo when they come out. Does any have any opions on them plz say.

Chris aka FreeFall

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Crossfire should kick [bleep] but i didnt konw dfi were making a crossfire board i thought it was just msi and gigabyte it tells you on the ati website who they have making them. I would have got one myself but they arent out yet and dont look like they will be for a few months.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
[bleep] yeah it should I heard it should be like a month from what my friend told me till when they come out. I dunno I havent been looking at it that much but thats what I comprehend. I heard they might be able to hold 3 graphics card lol god [bleep] you need money and a big power supply I would presume. Ill be able to keep this comp for a while with all the parts im getting :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think it will be a month they still havent sent out the reference boards to reviewers. And the ati200 boards in the single card versions arent even in the shops in the normal single card config so it will be at least two to three months. But your system is going to be good.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well it doesnt matter hes over in iraq and when he get home in november we will start looking at everything too see if I could do better :tazz: I wont prob start building till like january. So hopefully the crossfire will be out by then and i will be able to buy 2 good cards.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, the nice thing about crossfire though is you dont need to get two cards straight away just get one of the new ati cards at the time and then in a year or two you can get another and you will have performance to make grown techies cry.

Advertisements

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah well i proablay wont start builidng till liek january when my friend gets home from iraq in november but thanksgiving and christmas and stuff will get in are way. So I will have along time to look at the crossfire and the mobo and all my other parts more closer and hopefully save enough money to get 2 graphic cards.
Plus i need the computer to last like till im like 21-22 and im 15 now.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i doubt it will last that long they generally dont, your 15 and you got a friend in Iraq, you yanks get em young dont you.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well you doubt wrong my sir. I'm still running my gateway from january 99 on same everything except graphic card. So I think it will make it and plus I will be able to keep it in tip top performance. But by then I can always buy a new one and ill have alot of money. And btw he isnt really my friend hes a fellow gamer I played with all the time in a clan.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The tip top perfrmance was what i was meaning, it might run, i have a laptop from 99 and i did have a working pc from 92 until it got put up my grans loft still working. Was utter crap but was only pc that played blood and quake in original style from dos shell. i remeber the day we upgraded it from windows 3.1 to 95. You might keep it going well that long it dpends on advancement hardware makes in the time you have it but fit a 4800+ in there in a couple of years and new gen gfx card and ram and it might make it.
Right, your friend is takin his fps skills to RL, lets just hope he doesnt get lag.

FreeFall

FreeFall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah I know but my computer I have now i never saw a decrease in performance I just need more ram and it would be as good as it was when I got it out of the box. So I dont know how parts now will last in my new computer it depends on how hard I go with it. Just wondering but do u think shutting off your computer everytime you get off it for a long time will help it last longer?