Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helplessly Stuck; "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System...

• Please log in to reply

Beeslo

Beeslo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, so I am sure that this isn't the first time this problem has come up. I have looked at the other posts similar to it, but mine is a little different from those that I have found.

I am running a custom built Dell PC, running (or attempting to) Windows XP, Service Pack 2 (Nov. 2004)

After having some unknown virus/adware/etc running havoc on my computer without any ability to locate it after using over 4 different scans, I decided to start over, delete the partition and reinstall...smart move? Not really. But I wished it to just go away. For those that would like to possibly tell me what it was, any time I would try to install a new program from either a CD, download etc, I would constantly get many downloading errors saying that a certain .CAB file could not be located. Thats really it, but it was enough that I was confused.

So bad move aside. I reinstalled Windows XP. Now in all honesty, it took me many, many attempts to reinstall windows. Why? Well I would start the installation process but go off and do other things, upon returning I would find out that the installation did not complete. So for the last time, I stayed and watched the computer throughout the entire process. So far, everything looked good. After switching the boot process back to the hard drive and rebooting, I pleased to see that Windows XP boot up just fine. I went upon installing some antivirus software (McAfee) and then restarted the computer to allow certain programs to initialize. And that was the last time I could successfully load Windows. Since then I have received the following blue screen:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectantly with a
status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I have no idea what to do at this moment, if someone could take the time to help my problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Beeslo

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello there,

Sorry for the problem you have. Take a look at this website: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm.

Here is the quote from the error you're recieving...

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Hope this helps..

Good Luck,
Matt

Beeslo

Beeslo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Matt,

I'll try this...thanks for the quote too...really helps me understand the problem. Fixing the problem is one thing, but understanding it is better.

Thanks